Drum Brake Adjuster Tool/Replacment?

cdq109

Any special tools/tricks to get access to the locking arm that engages the star wheel on the drum brake adjusters?

My passenger side star wheel I was able to use one screwdriver to pry the advancing bar that hits the start wheel away and back the star wheel off, so that the shoes were not longer hanging up on the lip wore into the original Nissan drums. (That was after two hours or so...probably bending a screwdriver right at the tip would allow me to get around the cylinder portion of the brake adjuster, that's the problem, the locking bar is on the far side, so you can't good a good angle on it with a straight flat head screwdriver.).

The driver side was a nighmare...much cursing, drilling, and the sacrifice of an otherwise working wheel cylinder to the brake gods...again after several hours I was only able to occasionally get everything just right so that I could back it off. But my hands would cramp, I'd lose the exact postion, and then not be able to get it back on.

I did try bending one cheap screwdriver, but it just snapped...

If there is an existing tool that works with the specific angles of our brake adjusters, that'd be great to know.

Otherwise I guess it'll be more trial and error.

If the locking bar extended down just a little further I'd be able to hit it with a flathead screwdriver.

I've seen several repair kits including the star wheel and both shafts and the locking bar, but none for the R50 Pathfinder.

Does a generic brake spoon work like magic for this, or just meh?

Another general random question, if the drums are worn down enough to have the shoes "hang up" on them preventing them from being removed, is that indicating the drums need to be turned or replaced, or is that just how they run?

Seems like I used to think if they were groved that deeply they needed to be turned/replaced.

Anyway I replaced the stock original drums today after 225,000 (I think, North of that for sure), but before I get them tightened up with the new shoes, kinda wanted to know how to back them off.

Thank you,

Chirs

If the drums are worn enough to have a lip large enough to to prevent removal like you have, it is a good idea to measure them to ensure they are not worn beyond the limit. Regardless, resurfacing or replacing the drums is strongly recommended so the brakes will work their best. 

I have bent small cheap screwdrivers in the past by heating them where I need the bend with a small torch so they will bend instead of breaking. As for backing the star wheel, when I am unable to push the lock away, I just force the wheel and it is usually ok. I also replace the hardware (springs, hold down pins at the very least) to make them work properly. In the future, if you can't get the adjuster to back off enough to get the drum off, you can cut the heads off the hold down pins to enable the shoes to move enough to get the drum off.