Lifting pathfinder - guide me

theApex

Hello guys,

need guidance to lift my pathfinder. I decided put 31x10.5 A/T tires on my pathfinder and now its rubbing like a B* and basically became useless for offroading. It was fine on stock tires for offroading. 

me being stupid just decided to put bigger tires and started cutting inside the wheel well instead of lifting 1st. 

I had to remove my rear fender flares and all mudflaps just to make the car usable again for daily drives and it still rubs on reverse close to full lock (need to cut more on front wheel well)

So I decided to lift it the pathfinder before winter boarding season comes, but it is too pricey...

I checked 4x4 parts but the 2" lift kits is expensive for me right now. Is it cheaper to buy the struts and springs separately for cheaper and which ones to get. I tried to search around the forums and it seems that the AC lift is popular, also that the LR spring for rear might be cheaper. I am trying to avoid getting spacers.

I just want to take it offroading again. . . 

Edited by theApex

31 inch tires should be causing hardly any rubbing, if any, especially ones that narrow.  Do you have wheels with lots of offset or wheel spacers?

KYB front struts with OME or AC coils, and Bilstein rear shocks with Land Rover coils are a popular combination, but not necessarily cheap.

• Like 3

hey Mjotrainbrain thanks for the reply

the pathfinder is still on stock suspension - maybe its sagging already. it was rubbing alot before any cutting when wheels are turned. I cut some of the plastic from the wheel well and some from the bottom of the front bumper to get it cleared. it was good to drive, but still rubs in reverse.

After i filled up the car w/ gas and with 3 passengers it  really rubs hard reverse w/ wheels turned close to full lock. so I figured it really drops the car.

I don't have any spacers. I partnered the AT tires w/ R15 procomps w/ 3.75 BS

this is from 4x4 parts. 

image.png.baedfeeb8a91ddda220abbddd02c7993.png

do you have a link for the AC coils and LR coils?

Ac coils up front by 4x4parts.com and Land Rover nrc9447 coils in back from lrdirect.com. The Brit part brand ones. This setup will run about 300 shipped. Get kyb gr2 shocks and struts from rockauto. This will run about another 120

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

We put 31x10.50 15's on my friends 99 and he gets some rub near full lock when turning in the front. The tires are rubbing the inner fender near the subframe. We kept his stock aluminum wheels which is why he could fit the tires on his stock suspension. You don't have enough back spacing to fit the tires in there. You need about 4.5" of backspace for the tires to fit inside the fenders from what I have seen. 

31” tires shouldn’t rub as you describe. What size wheels did you get? I read 15” diameter and 3.75” backspacing but what width? Also what year and model trim do you have? 96-98 XE and LE models that had 235/70R15 tires as stock were equipped with a steering rack with a tighter turning radius than SE models with 265/70R15. This could contribute to the rubbing.

• 1 month later...

Hey man,

when my pathy was stock I was running the same tires (31x10.5) all terrains and didn't have any rubbing issues. if you scroll through the forums you can find a topic related to lifting your pathfinder.

• Like 1