Valve Cover gasket QX4 VQ

Hey guys, has anyone done a valve gasket replacement on their r50? I am working on the lower plenum and I can’t figure out how to get the 10 mm at the back out.

IMG_3645.jpg

IMG_3648.jpg

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did this on my Pathfinder about a year ago when I did the power valve screws. That hidden one at the bottom of the one bracket is a real bear to deal with. I think I used an offset closed end wrench to remove and install that particular bolt. It takes a lot of turning and a lot of patience. I can't remember if I removed anything else to help get to it, I don't think I did, at least nothing that helped or made a difference.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Good call! I honestly didn't even know about that issue. I guess I'll just add it to the list of things I fix. I am thinking about doing a build thread when I get done with all of these fixes. I've done CVs on both sides and this is in progress. I need to do upper oil pan, steering rack, lower control arms, pull apart the trailing arms, repack the hub on the driver side and install manual locking hubs. 

Just a bunch of stuff the previous owner ignored haha. 

Yeah, those hubs are lots of fun. Hopefully you have the tool you need for removing the spindle nut. I bought the Jeep-compatible adapter, I found it to be pretty flimsy because of its length but it did the job. The hardest part for me was removing the little retaining ring that sits on top of the spindle nut with two little Phillips head screws. An impact screwdriver saves a ton of aggravation if you have one. Good luck!

Yeahhh, one of those phillips head screws broke and the head was just rolling around in the hub ?. I might just hit up a pick your part and see if I can get a whole assembly. The tool is just a specialty socket correct? 

Yes, the tool I have is called a Sunex 10202 Spindle Nut Wrench, seems to be a common choice for this job amongst us DIY'ers. I think I grabbed mine from Amazon. I didn't find it to be perfect, especially when it came to torqueing everything back together, but it's inexpensive and does the job.

I just moved my whole body from the right side to left side, on top of the engine, used all kinds of attachments, but don't exactly recall how i got  that out. All I remember was that it was a pain in my behind and I wanted to forget it. hopefully I never do it again lol. 

I also recall the feeling of reaching the waterfall at the end of the hike after i got it out. 

• Like 1

I may or may not shed a tear. I have found a youtube video showing exactly how in theory it should be taken out. 

This guy uses a closed 10 mm. The motor isn't in the engine bay, so clearance might be an issue. I'll have to see tonight. 

good luck man.  i remember we used an extension and and adapter that bends with the socket. I was holding a steel bar to push the engine away from the firewall for a bit of clearance. bend the steel "L" brackets/braces out of the way with pliers  - you can bend them back to place later on. ask someone with smaller hands to get in there to take it out.

also try removing as much as you can from the top and back as possible to get as much clearance as you can. Seperate that vacuum hose  from piping in your picture, and i think that piping is attached to the side engine as well, removed it too. the coolant bypass leaked after I removed more hoses not a big deal, just messy. 

I'm not too savy w/ mechanic stuff. not too sure if I used the correct terms. 

It was really a pain. Also used a magnet to make sure that don't fall off when you are about to take it out.  (you can tell by this that I was desperate already) I'm sure there is a better way, but this is how I did it.

Edited by theApex

Thanks! A socket adapter might do the trick too. I've bought a couple different tools for this job, none of them have worked. I have been trying to do this job by myself, maybe another (smaller) set of hands would help. 

I've been going back and forth about removing stuff from behind the engine. At first, I didn't really think that would solve the clearance issue and also the hoses are a bit brittle so I was wary of pulling them apart if I could help it. But now as deep as I am into this, I am just going to replace everything I can so I don't have to do this a second time!

Haha I know what you mean about mechanical terms! I've been reading this forum for about 2 months picking up different things. I've actually dropped a 10 mm socket 3 times now (fished it out with a magnet the first 2 times, couldn't see it the third time, I'm sure I'll find it when I finally get this apart). 

Thanks for your help/advice, I'll be sure to post pictures of this when it's complete!

• 1 month later...

I finished this a while back, but I successfully got that screw off. Used a 10mm wrench and help from my friend. Once I got it off, I realized that I didn't need to take it off in the first place. What was holding it on was the rock hard PCV valve hose ?

• Like 1