96-04 Pathfinder driveshaft?

MTGunner

Do most 96-04 4x4 Pathfinders have two or one piece driveshafts? 

Reason I ask is that my 2000 Pathfinder 4x4 is at our winter residence and am thinking the droning noise is either a bad universal or if a two piece shaft may be the carrier bearing. Must figure out the droning noise before driving it much. Hate noises and rattles. MTG

The 4x4 driveshaft is 3 pieces plus 2 u-joints. One piece bolts to the pinion flange, one piece is the driveshaft itself, and the other piece is the slip yoke which I sets into the transfer case. 

Went to Nissanhelp in the factory manual to find 4x4 models do indeed have a three piece with driveshafts. I will remove rear shaft assembly for inspection in hope that this is my droning noise problem. I drained the rear differential to find no problems. Changed trans fluid to find no problems. As stated before hope that driveshaft is the culprit and merely the carrier bearing or “u” joints. My 2000 4x4 Pathfinder has a mere 140,000 miles on the odometer. Runs great and everything else is in excellent condition. Thanks again. MTG

• Like 1