5000 rpm going 65 mph

Hello, as my name suggests I have a broken pathfinder (it still drives). It is a 1994 XE 4WD 5 speed with 208k miles that I purchased with a slipping clutch. Initially I assumed the rpms were high because of the worn clutch, but once I got the clutch replaced it looks as though the rpms love to stay up there. The clutch has been engaging propertly and I am confident this is not the source of the issue. At freeway speeds my rpm reading is close to 5000 at 65 mph. Could this be due to bad timing? Did I unluckily purchase a pathfinder with odd gearing? Any help is appreciated!

Welcome aboard.  Couple questions:

1) Does the engine actually feel like it's turning 5K RPM?  Just confirming tach readout.

2) Clutch was replaced, but was anything done to the flywheel, replaced or resurfaced?  The clutch may be engaging the flywheel at lower speeds and torques, but if it's smooth enough it's still going to slip at some point.  How's the acceleration reaching 65 or higher speeds?

The engine does feel to be turning over this quickly. When replacing the clutch the flywheel was not replaced or resurfaced because my mechanic claimed that it looked "to be in amazing condition" due to the clutch being worn to the rivots on the opposite side. Acceleration is decent; my pathfinder takes up speed like normal

I'd like to think that if it went through an entire clutch pack, the flywheel was probably due for something, unless it was just a cheap clutch and a lot of clutch riding?  Even at that mileage, a resurface may have been useful?  Then again, my Frontier has 220K and has probably only seen one resurface job, so maybe that's ok.  But if it were truly to rivets, then that'd be a problem.

I presume there's a distinguishable drop in RPM when going 4th to 5th (at speeds well below 65)?