Turn Signal Relay

RainGoat

Does anyone know which relay is for the turn signal. I’ve installed LEDs in my rear turn signals & besides hyperflashing, activating the turn signal disengages my cruise control (highly annoying).@TowndawgR50 put in resistors & fixed the hyperflash but not the cruise control disengage. I’ve got an LED CF13 relay but I can’t seem to positively identify the location of the relay in the truck so that I can replace it. I thought I could use my ear but no luck.

follow steering column up from floor. it is located right next to it

Best photo I could get right now..

OBD port is on left with view of photo upwards. It is the black sleeve with black relay. I used vhb tape to hold it on as the oem relay has a push clip.

bb96503631e1c7a58fd84837d7a84951.jpg

Turn your flashers on and put your ear up to where the clicking is coming from. You can stick your hand up there and feel around and you'll be able to feel what's making the clicking, and that'll be the one to pull out.

• Like 1

Okay, well, unfortunately not as easy as all that. I had to take apart the lower dash to get to it. It’s way up in there. It also has a slightly different shape. I can’t get back there to release the original & the replacement doesn’t lock into the plug like the original. Well, I’ll give it a shot. It did fix the hyperblink - I’ll have ti get it all reassembled to see if it will fix the cruise disengaging.

Okay, well, unfortunately not as easy as all that. I had to take apart the lower dash to get to it. It’s way up in there. It also has a slightly different shape. I can’t get back there to release the original & the replacement doesn’t lock into the plug like the original. Well, I’ll give it a shot. It did fix the hyperblink - I’ll have ti get it all reassembled to see if it will fix the cruise disengaging.

I cannot remember how I removed the oem part, but like I mentioned earlier,3m vhb tape will stick it to the exact same position as original. It is definitely worth the extra effort to install securely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like the turn signal lights are back feeding into the brake lights. I would inspect the wiring for damage or if you have a trailer light converter, it is likely that it has failed and causing the turn signal to send voltage into the brake light circuit. 

Had a similar problem years ago with the first set of led brake lights I had in my truck. Cruise worked fine until I turned on the lights, then it would kick out. Took me 9 months to figure it out and only did when I was in the middle of nowhere one night when it was very dark. I was behind my truck and noticed that the center brake light was glowing faintly while the park lights were on. Replaced the taillight bulbs and problem went away.

My wiring is fine. It only appeared after changing out the rear brake & turn signals to LEDs. Cruise cuts out when I activate the turn signal. Same thing with@TowndawgR50. His persists with resistors. I used an LED relay switch so I’ll give a report once I’ve had a chance to test it.

2 hours ago, RainGoat said:

My wiring is fine. It only appeared after changing out the rear brake & turn signals to LEDs. Cruise cuts out when I activate the turn signal. Same thing with@TowndawgR50. His persists with resistors. I used an LED relay switch so I’ll give a report once I’ve had a chance to test it.

I've had the weird thing of having the SET light on cluster do a quick blip while driving normally without cruise on. Everything with cruise works fine but now I am wondering if the led light bulbs have anything to do with this.

Hmmm, the LED relay does NOT stop the turn signals from disengaging the Cruise Control. I wouldn’t have thought that mattered much as how often does that happen - turns out, quite alot. I think it happened 2-3 DOZEN times on last weekend’s trip on I-90 over the Cascades. I’m seriously going to have to consider putting the incandescents back in the turn signals (hopefully the brake LEDs don’t cause it too).

Hmmm, the LED relay does NOT stop the turn signals from disengaging the Cruise Control. I wouldn’t have thought that mattered much as how often does that happen - turns out, quite alot. I think it happened 2-3 DOZEN times on last weekend’s trip on I-90 over the Cascades. I’m seriously going to have to consider putting the incandescents back in the turn signals (hopefully the brake LEDs don’t cause it too).

And this is with the ddm tuning leds? That is very strange. Post a pic of the bulbs you have.

I have replaced all my lights with leds and haven't had that problem. However, something else has killed the cruise in my truck. I am suspecting it might be the speed sensor, but haven't delved into it yet, too many other things to do. The led flasher module solved the hyper flash without having to use resistors. 

• Like 1

Hm that is strange, since we both have an '02 when I swapped everything to LED's I never had that issue with the cruise control shutting itself off. The only thing I did was install the new blinker relay to stop the hyperflash of the blinkers.

• Like 1

Hm that is strange, since we both have an '02 when I swapped everything to LED's I never had that issue with the cruise control shutting itself off. The only thing I did was install the new blinker relay to stop the hyperflash of the blinkers.

Hmm, yours puzzles me. I figured if@TowndawgR50 did it, so would yours.

My LEDs:
Stop/Tail #7443 DDM Tuning Red 6xCree LEDs
Rear Turn Signal #1156NA DDM Tuning Amber 6xCree LEDs
https://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/7443-6xCree

LED Relay
Novita EP34 LED Relay
https://www.amazon.com/Tridon-EP34-Flasher/dp/B00064LQKS
c268a70448e4462c805f3861e3c47d6c.jpg
  • Like 1

Hmm, yours puzzles me. I figured if[mention=37543]TowndawgR50[/mention] did it, so would yours.

My LEDs:
Stop/Tail #7443 DDM Tuning Red 6xCree LEDs
Rear Turn Signal #1156NA DDM Tuning Amber 6xCree LEDs
https://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/7443-6xCree

I have the same leds. I’ve not had any issues with them. Something I would try is disconnecting the hitch brake harness. On my 04 frontier I had the rear lights not working properly because of the module. I removed it completely because I don’t tow anything and I never had any issues after that.

I have the same leds. I’ve not had any issues with them. Something I would try is disconnecting the hitch brake harness. On my 04 frontier I had the rear lights not working properly because of the module. I removed it completely because I don’t tow anything and I never had any issues after that.

Yours is an ‘03 LE right? Hmm, I have the factory hitch harness which works fine itself but maybe you’re right it may not play well with LEDs. Unfortunately, I use a trailer about a dozen times a year so I would kind of like to keep the harness hooked up. I’ll ponder.

1 hour ago, R50JR said:

Bingo! This is probably the source of our issues @RainGoat 

I also have a towing harness but I tow regularly as well so I'll just put up with it for now. Maybe we might need @ferrariowner123 to help us with custom harnesses. No issue other than the cruise control/turn signal cancel

• Like 1

Bingo! This is probably the source of our issues [mention=40800]RainGoat[/mention]  I also have a towing harness but I tow regularly as well so I'll just put up with it for now. Maybe we might need [mention=32880]ferrariowner123[/mention] to help us with custom harnesses. No issue other than the cruise control/turn signal cancel 

[mention=37543]TowndawgR50[/mention] found these links on YouTube which seem to confirm[mention=41155]R50JR[/mention] hypothesis that’s it’s the trailer hitch. So I may look into adding a resistor to the brake light line & see if that does it. 

• 3 weeks later...