Camber Concerns?

R50_QX4

Sorry to bring up an old forum,

but curious about exactly how the tires would wear if you have a camber problem? I have a 2” sf creation lift running 32s on my 2002 qx4 and nothing else done. Seeing tread wear on the corner of both brand new (KO2s) right front and right rear tires. Haven’t noticed any noticeable camber changes since lift but looks as if I’ve been taking corners too fast and wearing side wall, but I have not been... wondering if I should be buying camber plates and where to get them. 

Thanks, Carson. 

On 7/9/2019 at 8:58 PM, R50_QX4 said:

Sorry to bring up an old forum,

but curious about exactly how the tires would wear if you have a camber problem? I have a 2” sf creation lift running 32s on my 2002 qx4 and nothing else done. Seeing tread wear on the corner of both brand new (KO2s) right front and right rear tires. Haven’t noticed any noticeable camber changes since lift but looks as if I’ve been taking corners too fast and wearing side wall, but I have not been... wondering if I should be buying camber plates and where to get them. 

Thanks, Carson. 

Not to thread jack just trying to give a quick answer. No camber plates, camber bolts should be fine from my understanding for these vehicles. Camber is a large wear angle for your tire as it determines the size of your contact patch. For reference search: camber gang on google too see exaggerated instances on how negative camber leaves less tire touching the road.

Pretend these slashes are your tires

Neutral camber: I

Negative Camber: /

Postitive Camber:  \

With neutral camber your entire tire when driving straight is on the road, but when cornering it shifts to an edge. 

With negative camber when driving straight you are riding more on the edge of your tire but flatten out in cornering (on my track car i run negative camber so it grips better while cornering)

Typically when running camber you run a bit "less negative"(or more positive) camber on the driver side to correct for the road crown. Your vehicle will pull to which ever side is less negative. 

I do not remember the pros of running positive camber as my main focus has always been sports cars.

Also i hear rock auto is the best place to get the camber bolts

Edited by TroyButler
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TroyButler said:

Not to thread jack just trying to give a quick answer. No camber plates, camber bolts should be fine from my understanding for these vehicles. Camber is a large wear angle for your tire as it determines the size of your contact patch. For reference search: camber gang on google too see exaggerated instances on how negative camber leaves less tire touching the road.

Pretend these slashes are your tires

Neutral camber: I

Negative Camber: /

Postitive Camber:  \

With neutral camber your entire tire when driving straight is on the road, but when cornering it shifts to an edge. 

With negative camber when driving straight you are riding more on the edge of your tire but flatten out in cornering (on my track car i run negative camber so it grips better while cornering)

Typically when running camber you run a bit "less negative"(or more positive) camber on the driver side to correct for the road crown. Your vehicle will pull to which ever side is less negative. 

I do not remember the pros of running positive camber as my main focus has always been sports cars.

Also i hear rock auto is the best place to get the camber bolts

I got mine from amazon for 18.99

• Like 1

I installed camber bolts on mine to correct negative camber because of the way it looked and it worked very well. It also raised the front of my vehicle up about an inch..

I can’t tell you if slight camber causes your tires to wear on the edge. I imagine they would wear a little more but not a lot. I can tell you that tie rods, control arm bushings, and wheel bearings will eat tires alive. Especially mud terrains.

• Thanks 1

Mine had some wonky camber when I got it and the tread was worn more on the inside than the outside, but it was an even fade across the tire. My friend's truck was toed out for a while and chewed up the inner edges of his front tires something awful. I'd expect toe to do the same to both tires.

Did you have it aligned after the lift? I wonder if it had an alignment issue before that you hadn't noticed, and the alignment shop happened to switch the left front and right rear.

On 7/16/2019 at 9:21 PM, Slartibartfast said:

Mine had some wonky camber when I got it and the tread was worn more on the inside than the outside, but it was an even fade across the tire. My friend's truck was toed out for a while and chewed up the inner edges of his front tires something awful. I'd expect toe to do the same to both tires.

Did you have it aligned after the lift? I wonder if it had an alignment issue before that you hadn't noticed, and the alignment shop happened to switch the left front and right rear.

Brand new wheels and tires where put on it was balanced and aligned. Getting my camber bolts on Friday though. They were wearing too bad, just note for peace of mind. Good to know about the tie rods etc.. should check all those soon too then!