what could happen with the timing belt?

Strato_54

3 hours ago, adamzan said:

If you're replacing any hoses, the bypass hose is the one to do. It can be done afterwards but is a pain to get to. If the rad hoses are in good shape you can probably leave them. I've never replaced the key on any of mine, but that's not saying I've done things right either. The cam and crank seals have bit me in the ass like Slartibartfast as well. My crank seal started leaking 3 months after the job and of course before a long weekend road trip was to take place lol.

The parts are pretty cheap on rock auto, so if you can stretch it I would just do it all.

@Mr_Reverse aren't the keyways only an issue on the earlier VG's? I've never had a problem with any of mine, but they are all 94 and up. I do recall several people having issues with the (basically square tooth belt time frame) versions. I'm pretty sure they changed the design at one point. The VG33 style is definitely different.

Yeah I’ve never used rock auto but they look really good. But it’s about 500 CAD for everything I need and want which is pretty alright. And if I’m changing keys then that’s a dealer thing I couldn’t find any online 

22 minutes ago, adamzan said:

Yes it would be a dealer thing, but they are dirt cheap. At least they used to be.

well since it being canada everything is stupid expensive but they keys i would imagine are a few bucks and if not then screw that ill just weld them on lmao

i called nissan about a new radiator and they want over 800 for an oem one and they dont have any others that fit the car because its a manual so no trans lines. absolutely absurd. the timing belt stuff from them wasnt that cheap either so thats why rock auto is going to save me i think

33 minutes ago, adamzan said:

You can use the auto trans radiator on the manual. I did that on mine as all the aftermarkets are the same (with the trans cooler in the bottom).

i guess but they still didnt make any for my model i guess but oh well who knows what will happen. i dont need it until it gets road ready. it still holds coolant the filler neck is just really wonky and doesnt hold pressure. its not the cap its hard to explain but im better off with a new rad then this one because of this issue

9 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

He's saying you can run the auto trans rad and just leave the trans cooler capped off. It's the same rad otherwise.

no no i get that part but theyre still stupid expensive even for the auto trans rad at my nissan dealer. 

Just get an aftermarket one. I've had no problems with the spectra premium ones from Canadian tire/Partsource. I think I paid $150 for a lifetime warranty unit.

I know what you mean about the filler neck. My current 95 came with one where it was almost oval shaped and the cap would kind of tighten but not hold pressure.

If the timing belt breaks, depending on the conditions at the time it breaks, RPM, engine load and other factors, at the very least you may get a bent valve. There are other possibilities such as piston damage, camshaft damage and other components.
Timing belts are designed stronger to your average fan belt and last alot longer. I ran one truck I had 160k miles before changing the T-Belt and when I removed the original belt, you could still read the OEM part number on it. I would just inspect it and check for wear.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

Do you have the OEM part #?

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...
update still have yet to change it. been to busy with work the past few months but shes still going strong lmao. should be changed by mid august

That’s usually how timing belts are- strong until they snap

Sent from my Pathfinder

18 hours ago, R50JR said:

That’s usually how timing belts are- strong until they snap

Sent from my Pathfinder

im hoping it doesn't do that anytime soon it wouldn't be to fun but at the same time its been this long im almost surprised that it hasn't gone already 

• 3 weeks later...

still think its absolutely hilarious how its been this long and its been in changed. BUT i ordered all the parts on rock auto and will be here Thursday including a new rad and fan since both have decided to kick the can. to anyone who is putting off their timing belt do not do it it is bad and can end horrific. im just lazy and didnt have the funds