New user with r50 QX4 w/ 2” sf creation lift done

R50_QX4

Hey guys, 

complete newbie to forum here... but just got my 2002 QX4 lifted and put some 265/70/17 (31.6”x17) rims and tires on her and had a few questions about how to get a bit more clearance/ reduce rub. 

Researched it a bit and ended up ordering the 2” strut lift by sf creation. Parts came and looked good put them in and definitely lifted it 2” as they said. Got the 31.6” tires on it (bfg ko2’s on American racing baja wheels) sucks the photos won’t allow me to post my pictures... 

anyways, I’m getting a lot of rub on rears when I articulate even a little bit. A guy at shop said to get longer sway bar end links which I’m probably going to do. Also camber bolts? Same guy said not to worry about them for the 2” strut lift only. What else can I do to get a bit more room in back? Or should I just do the 1” spacers and get new suspension all around?

Edited by R50_QX4

Longer sway bar end links won't affect rubbing and really aren't necessary for a 2" lift, although if they're due to be replaced you may as well. As far as camber bolts they are only necessary if your camber isn't correct, they're just a part to help get your alignment in spec (if camber is off you'll have bad tire wear pretty quick, so don't just ignore it).

For the rubbing issue, I'd suggest parking flexed on something and take a look at where the tire is hitting the body. You could extend the bumpstops to avoid this (longer bolts and 2" thick body lift spacers is a popular and cheap option), or if you want to maintain all your suspension travel you can trim away the bodywork that's in the way.

The rubbing is likely mostly due to the offset wheels (necessary for clearance in the front around the struts so there's really no way around it) causing the tires to stick out too far to tuck into the rear wheel well when flexing, instead they hit the flare. How's rubbing in the front? You may have to trim the bumper and bottom back corner of the fender.

Welcome to NPORA and congrats on beginning the mods!

Hey, thanks a lot for the quick reply!

Hmm Okay that’s kind of what I was thinking for the end links that wouldn’t make too much of a difference. And as for the camber bolts.. I don’t see a noticeable change in the camber, but I have noticed pretty bad wear on right corner of front and rear passenger side tires. All brand new rubber 2 months ago...  figured it was from cornering, even though if been taking right hang turns extra slow and not cornering hard. So maybe that’s due to camber. 

As for rubbing in rear, yeah just upper wheel wells from the offset I guess. Just seems like I need more room in the back. I do already have the 2” body/ strut lift spacers installed. 

Front is great, has been trimmed a lot, but only rubs at full crank in reverse or articulating. 

Besides trimming are there any ways I can better this? Don’t mind spending the money I just want to be able to take it where she belongs. 

Thanks again, Carson

There's probably about a half inch of material you can remove from the fender flare to give you more room without having to cut metal, but my 2002 was set up almost identical (except I had OME coils in addition to the spacers in the rear, but that doesn't affect rubbing), and that still want enough. Really the only way I know of to fully eliminate the rubbing it to extend the bumpstop somehow (either with some kind of spacers, which are different from the lift spacers, or with bumpstops from a different vehicle). If you do extend the bumpstop, you will be limiting the suspension's uptravel though so you'll have less articulation.  You could balance this with longer rear shocks.

Cool thanks again, seems like I’ll need longer shocks in back with the 1” spacer. Any recommendations for bang for your buck? I’m in Canada so shipping and tax sucks. 

Also what do you think about the tire wear on front and rear passenger side walls? Could be from camber being off?

I'm no expert on shock options, but there is a good bit of information in existing threads on the forum, for example there's some good discussion throughout here:

As far as tire wear, the front would make sense as far as camber being off, but not the rear. Other than a bent axle (which is definitely an extreme option) I don't know of anything that would cause uneven rear tire wear, so it's certainly puzzling.