Do the windshields have antennas in them?

On my 97 SE I have to get the windshield replaced. I called a few places and all of them asked about antennas and I said no because I didn’t think there were. But I got to my shop and looked closely at it and noticed an orange line coming from the centre of the glass. It goes from top to bottom then shoots over to the driver side and that’s all there is. Do I have the antenna in my windshield? And if so what is it even for? 

Edited by Strato_54

Some windows have FM/AM radio antennas in them. Mine doesn't, it's just a normal whip antenna.

I've even seen cars with a whip antenna and a windshield antenna. I think because they just put the antenna in all replacement windows for standardization.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Many R50s have what’s called a diversity antenna in the front windshield. This is in addition to the whip antenna and is meant to improve signal capture. You can see it running up the midline of the windshield. As an FYI, you can see these in many other vehicles though they often put them in the cargo area side windows (they are those things which look like defrosters on the cargo area windows of 4Runners & other vehicles).

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, RainGoat said:

Many R50s have what’s called a diversity antenna in the front windshield. This is in addition to the whip antenna and is meant to improve signal capture. You can see it running up the midline of the windshield. As an FYI, you can see these in many other vehicles though they often put them in the cargo area side windows (they are those things which look like defrosters on the cargo area windows of 4Runners & other vehicles).

Can I go with out this antenna then. Like my keyless remote won’t just stop working. All it will do is lessen my radio signal (I use Spotify radio sucks here)?

42 minutes ago, RainGoat said:

I don’t know much more than what I posted. I would google car diversity antennas

it is for the radio nothing else

I have one in my windshield...I wasn't really sure what it was until I looked in the FSM. I thought it might've been a front defroster element at first (in addition to the normal defrost vents). Some vehicles have them in the same manner, but it would be uncommon for a brand like Nissan to do it...I've only seen them on higher end brands.

My stock antenna is pretty much completely gone (broke off down inside the housing), so the diversity antenna seems to be doing its job. I'm probably going to replace the real antenna with some kind of stubby since I don't use the radio that much, especially once I replace the crappy bargain basement deck that's in it.

• Like 2

My '93 came with the diversity setup. Line in the windshield, power antenna in the fender. My head unit isn't set up for two antennas, so it only uses the one on the fender. Works fine, not that I use it often (radio here sucks too).

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

My '93 came with the diversity setup. Line in the windshield, power antenna in the fender. My head unit isn't set up for two antennas, so it only uses the one on the fender. Works fine, not that I use it often (radio here sucks too).

Spotify is the way tro go. So might as well use that if possible

6 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

I just plug in my ipod. No ads, no touchscreen, no cell reception needed.

That’s what I like to hear. And you own your music outright as opposed to renting it

• Like 1

On 7/8/2019 at 9:26 PM, chrisfromthelc said:

I have one in my windshield...I wasn't really sure what it was until I looked in the FSM. I thought it might've been a front defroster element at first (in addition to the normal defrost vents). Some vehicles have them in the same manner, but it would be uncommon for a brand like Nissan to do it...I've only seen them on higher end brands.

My stock antenna is pretty much completely gone (broke off down inside the housing), so the diversity antenna seems to be doing its job. I'm probably going to replace the real antenna with some kind of stubby since I don't use the radio that much, especially once I replace the crappy bargain basement deck that's in it.

Slightly off-topic, but if you replace with a stubby I'd recommend finding a bendy stubby antenna. I got a stubby, but it's rigid. Hasn't been a problem so far, but I drive through a lot of brush and one day it's gonna get snagged... 

Slightly off-topic, but if you replace with a stubby I'd recommend finding a bendy stubby antenna. I got a stubby, but it's rigid. Hasn't been a problem so far, but I drive through a lot of brush and one day it's gonna get snagged... 

How is reception with the short antenna?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, zakzackzachary said:

Yeah, I think I'll set up with a standard screw-on antenna base, and get something like this that's easily replace if stolen/lost/broken.

I bought a stubby back when I bought my car but I found the radio reception to be terrible with it & went back to the whip. I’ve done this at least three times over the first few years I had the car. If you’re not using the radio, a stubby is a nice way to keep a clean look but I wouldn’t recommend it if you do care about reception.

On 7/16/2019 at 9:22 AM, R50JR said:

It seems okay. Although I've never experienced it with a full antenna since mine came broken off. I mostly use it with my Bluetooth-radio set-up which is close proximity though.

• Like 1