Keyless entry on 1997?

My recent purchase didn't come with remotes, but has the "security feature" which seems to work. Locking the door from the outside and reaching in and unlocking/opening triggers the horn alarm.

Does this mean that it has factory keyless? I've seen instructions on programming remotes and remotes available online, but nothing really definitive on how to determine if the vehicle has keyless entry built in. I plan to put in a more robust system with remote start in the future, but I'd like to at least have remotes now if possible.

From what i've seen all r50 models came with key-less remotes. I have yet to see anything saying other wise. Mine does have the remotes and it is too a 97 SE. It doesn't hurt asking the person you bought this from if it had the remotes at some point and had just lost them. If that's the case then this remote should do the trick if you want new remotes. (NOTE: yes they do say infiniti remotes but they work on pretty much all nissan cars from that era and the 96-98 pathfinders)

Edited by Strato_54

The guy I bought it from had never had remotes for it. The manual (the original was actually included and is in perfect condition!) says "if equipped" when referring to keyless, which is why I was wondering. I might just grab a replacement remote and try to program it.

After digging through the OEM parts site, I do see this module is present right behind the lower dash panel at the steering column: https://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/parts/nissan-control-assy-ke~28595-0w010.html

I assume that means the capability for keyless is there, I just need to get remotes for it.

From what I remember, there is also a fuse or relay under the hood for keyless as well. If replacements are cheap, I say give it a go. I believe it’s turning the key a few times while pressing buttons on the remote. Did it on my old pathy about 9 years ago. 

The pick and pull closest to me had a bin they chuck all the remotes they get in. Usually much cheaper that purchasing online. Maybe check around your area? 

I'm no expert on pathfinders as i am just starting out with mine but i think any info is good info aslong as its not completely wrong and way off. From what i can see that looks like it may be for the remotes and I would just say screw it and get a remote and try to program it. Make sure though its for the 96-98 as the r50s after that use different remotes like the 99 ,99.5 and 00 has different ids or what ever. Obviously anyone else the replies with a better answer then mine should be given credit to their knowledge.

5 minutes ago, herotrooper said:

From what I remember, there is also a fuse or relay under the hood for keyless as well. If replacements are cheap, I say give it a go. I believe it’s turning the key a few times while pressing buttons on the remote. Did it on my old pathy about 9 years ago. 

The pick and pull closest to me had a bin they chuck all the remotes they get in. Usually much cheaper that purchasing online. Maybe check around your area? 

Looks like Amazon has ones that are compatible for $29 that I can get today to try. I did check for the relay as well in the spot marked Keyless Entry, and it's present, so that seems to confirm that it's keyless-ready.

7 minutes ago, chrisfromthelc said:

Looks like Amazon has ones that are compatible for $29 that I can get today to try. I did check for the relay as well in the spot marked Keyless Entry, and it's present, so that seems to confirm that it's keyless-ready.

I wouldn't personally buy of amazon since sometimes stuff like this has misinfo about what it supports. I'm not saying all the time but possibly. Give it a try though you can always return to amazon for free with refund.

Make sure that they come with the electronics and batteries, it might just be the casing

Edited by Strato_54

I wouldn't personally buy of amazon since sometimes stuff like this has misinfo about what it supports. I'm not saying all the time but possibly. Give it a try though you can always return to amazon for free with refund.

I've had better luck with Amazon than buying this sort of thing from eBay. Addressing issues with these things is far easier with Amazon than some random eBay seller or junkyard just dumping stuff online. And yes, it's the full remote, not just a case.

My 97 QX4 did not come with fobs either but i bought one on Ebay and it works pretty good. The locks on my vehicle are a bit messed up and sometime the fob takes a couple clicks to open the rear doors but overall im happy with it

This is the one i bought i believe: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Replacement-for-Infiniti-97-99-QX4-Mercury-99-02-Villager-Remote-Car-Key-Fob/191892726290?hash=item2cadb2a212:g:rg4AAOSwskha-uFp&vxp=mtr

Edited by TroyButler

57 minutes ago, TroyButler said:

My 97 QX4 did not come with fobs either but i bought one on Ebay and it works pretty good. The locks on my vehicle are a bit messed up and sometime the fob takes a couple clicks to open the rear doors but overall im happy with it

This is the one i bought i believe: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Replacement-for-Infiniti-97-99-QX4-Mercury-99-02-Villager-Remote-Car-Key-Fob/191892726290?hash=item2cadb2a212:g:rg4AAOSwskha-uFp&vxp=mtr

All pathfinders and QX4 take a few clicks to unlock the rear. 1 is driver and then after a few seconds the second click is all the rest so. Its normal

36 minutes ago, Strato_54 said:

All pathfinders and QX4 take a few clicks to unlock the rear. 1 is driver and then after a few seconds the second click is all the rest so. Its normal

My locks are messed up as in my passenger side only locks and unlocks if you use a key in that door. If i lock all doors from driver side or fob, the passenger remains unlocked. But if i lock from passenger side with key, it will lock all the doors

2 hours ago, TroyButler said:

That's identical to the Amazon pair I just bought. Hopefully they'll actually come on time (Amazon's been late on 4 shipments in a row this week!) and I can get them programmed later tonight.

6 hours ago, TroyButler said:

I had one of those, now I have a rectangular version with a trunk button as well (of course that one is not functional).  It works, but sometimes you have to go through the recognition procedure couple times or so and the instructions were not the best.

1 hour ago, chrisfromthelc said:

Just an update, this set I purchased at Amazon worked great. The battery was dead in one, but I have spares always hanging around from my other vehicles. Once I had good batteries in both, they synced right up.

good to hear you got your issue solved but im quite mad you ordered something on amazon and it came that day. sucks living in a small town in British Columbia Canada haha. I also noticed you had just joined the pathfinder community and i wanted to welcome you and hope you have great adventures to come with your pathy!

Just now, Strato_54 said:

good to hear you got your issue solved but im quite mad you ordered something on amazon and it came that day. sucks living in a small town in British Columbia Canada haha. I also noticed you had just joined the pathfinder community and i wanted to welcome you and hope you have great adventures to come with your pathy!

I'm super spoiled with that, too. :D

I got irrationally angry about something that was supposed to arrive the next day and was delayed. Actually...still hasn't gotten here; it's going on 4 days late at this point (just some bulbs for the wife's vehicle).

Thanks for the welcome!

52 minutes ago, chrisfromthelc said:

I'm super spoiled with that, too. :D

I got irrationally angry about something that was supposed to arrive the next day and was delayed. Actually...still hasn't gotten here; it's going on 4 days late at this point (just some bulbs for the wife's vehicle).

Thanks for the welcome!

you have the luxury i do not lmao and yeah no problem. i love this community and so does thousands of other people so why not make it even better