New Electrical Issue

Hey guys,

This is pretty random, but I hope someone can give me some advice. Recently, my bose stereo died-well it didn't die but I'm getting no sound out of the speakers. I've looked online and there are a few different things people are saying. 1) There's a loose wire and when it grounds, the amp goes into protect mode and shuts down. Every now and then, it turns on for no reason-no sharp turn, no hitting some bumps-just whenever it wants, then shuts down again after about 10 seconds. 2)another option- The head unit is shot. 3) Fuses(checked them all) but it wouldn't turn back on if that were the case. I'm leaning toward #1 but I have no clue where to start.

Now on top of that, last night, I stopped at a light and all my dash lights came on just like when my alternator died a year ago from a little too much power steering fluid dripping on it. That is fixed now. By the time I got to the house, dash lights were off and all was good. Left for work this morning and no lights and ran totally normal. Same tonight-normal. Had alternator, battery, and starter tested at Autozone and all  were perfect. Does anyone know where I could start? Do you think they have anything to do with one another? I'm ok mechanically, but when it comes to electrical stuff, I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer. Any ideas of where to look, start, anything would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!  

16 hours ago, ryjaytay38 said:

Hey guys,

This is pretty random, but I hope someone can give me some advice. Recently, my bose stereo died-well it didn't die but I'm getting no sound out of the speakers. I've looked online and there are a few different things people are saying. 1) There's a loose wire and when it grounds, the amp goes into protect mode and shuts down. Every now and then, it turns on for no reason-no sharp turn, no hitting some bumps-just whenever it wants, then shuts down again after about 10 seconds. 2)another option- The head unit is shot. 3) Fuses(checked them all) but it wouldn't turn back on if that were the case. I'm leaning toward #1 but I have no clue where to start.

Now on top of that, last night, I stopped at a light and all my dash lights came on just like when my alternator died a year ago from a little too much power steering fluid dripping on it. That is fixed now. By the time I got to the house, dash lights were off and all was good. Left for work this morning and no lights and ran totally normal. Same tonight-normal. Had alternator, battery, and starter tested at Autozone and all  were perfect. Does anyone know where I could start? Do you think they have anything to do with one another? I'm ok mechanically, but when it comes to electrical stuff, I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer. Any ideas of where to look, start, anything would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!  

honestly my guess is just the fact that the unit might be shot. i have no idea where you wold start either but stuff like that doesnt just happen so i would check the unit or see if any wires behind the dash are broken

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, so another alternator died on my way to work. I put the new one in yesterday and the radio came on for the first time in a long time. This time it stayed on for about 15 minutes. Shut off again. I thought it was maybe something with the battery terminals. Cleaned the hell out of them but nothing again. I'm guessing it's somewhere in the wiring harness that I was pushing around to put the alternator in, but I'm just guessing. Btw, you haven't lived until you've put an alternator in an 01 Pathfinder. Most ridiculous design I've ever seen on a vehicle. It wouldn't have anything to do with the alternator would it? I'm so lost on this thing as my electrical knowledge is very limited so any insight at all would be great. Thanks! 

I pretty much don't trust Autozone's testing these days. I've had them test multiple batteries/alternators lately that were actually bad that they called good. A bad battery will kill an alternator for sure. I had that happen recently after Autozone told me that the battery was fine. I took it elsewhere after the alternator died, and sure enough the battery had bad cells in it.

My guess is that you had a bad battery or alternator in the beginning, and every time you replaced one that died completely, the "working" older one degraded the replacement until it died. I would take your alternator to a local rebuilder to get an expert to test it.

• Like 1