Axle fell out...

8 hours ago, TroyButler said:

I ordered a new axle should be in within a week or 2. Sorry to inconvenience everyone, im just not use to the big SUV life. I have a background more with BMW’s and am much more familliar with those (coupes and such).

No inconvenience here, def worth asking about. I think your case is a little

unique, so it may have thrown a few of us off. But as MY1PATH mentioned, the ring thickness is just to account for minor deviations. The FSM does provide instructions on what to measure and how to pick the size, I’m pretty sure. But again, that applies to the ring inside the wheel hub. The part that pulled out on yours probably just uses a single size of ring, and the thickness of it probably isn’t relevant. Still, a new CV renders that discussion moot. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Little late to reply but wanted to make sure everything works. New axle is in and all seems to work fine and i figured out what broke on the old axle, well actually nothing broke. Im not sure how it happened exactly but it did. I took pictures i can post them later if requested but essentially if you look at the first photo the shaft fell out of the joint basically (idk what to properly call it). On that shaft is splines that insert into the joint so that it perfectly meshes together. Around half way up the splines is a snap ring. I dont know how it happened, the snap ring was there, in perfect condition. Something happened basically that snap ring got compressed, closed, and let the shaft fall right out.

That is why i couldn't re-insert it because i would've had to decompress the snap ring to insert it. I cut the snap ring and it slid right back in perfectly, so all the force in the world and loosening/undoing components would have done nothing. So if anyone has this problem, just replace the axle.