Random no start

Cuong Nguyen

Lately, I have been having this random no start issues. I turn the key to start and do not get any clicking or anything. Lights do not dim. Nothing. Then after a few tries after a wait it turns over like nothing happened.

Any ideas as to what all I need to check first before looking for a replacement starter? 

Alternator tested good and same with battery.  93 Automatic.

Edited by Cuong Nguyen

Probably your ignition switch giving out. 

When I removed mine to install the push button ignition system I found mine was actually trying to come apart. The contact plate and housing had a lot of movement between them. I think that might have been the reason I was having starter issues years ago that had me come up with my "starter relay fix" I had posted so many years ago on the AC forum we used to hang out on. Did you ever do the relay mod? 

Edited by Mr_Reverse

Nope. Never did the relay mod as I did not have issues with starting back then. I may just pull the starter out and take it apart to inspect and clean. I switched back over to a remote oil filter so it's a possibility with the oil spills gunking it up.

I don't have oil issues on mine anymore since I managed to get the oil pressure sender to stop leaking. I wound up installing a VG33 when I broke the original engine many years ago. So I now have the tiny filter at the left front instead of over the starter.