Please help.

Hey folks. I'm new here and I've got a 1995 pathfinder xe v6 4x4 manual transmission that I can't seem to get fixed, I was wondering if y'all could help me. The vehicle started missing on me a few months ago and I had to have it towed. I got a local mechanic to work on the issue, being as it has roughly 160,000 miles on it I figured it needed a tune up. He replaced all the spark plugs, plug wires, distributor cap, rotor button, air and fuel filter, along with belts, and checked for vacuum leaks. And it still missed he said that the fuel pressure regulator was fine, egr valve was clean he cleaned the MAF sensor and ended up replacing the IAC valve. To no avail it still missed, finally he noticed the distributor has a lot of dust in it and he blew it out and it ran fine. Or so I thought, for about a week. It started missing again and I took it to another mechanic and he replaced the distributor, and done a few other things. And now it still misses. Only when it's under really light throttle like trying to maintain constant speed on the road. I figured it was the TPS. I personally installed it and it didn't really affect the issue, so I thought I would try installing a new ignition coil, and it seems to have made the miss worse. I'm lost I don't know what else to look at on the vehicle. Any and all help is appreciated. 

No check engine light is on...abs light is however. It definitely misses worse since I put the new ignition coil on. I drove it about 5 miles and parked it back in the driveway. I haven't done a compression test yet that will be done tomorrow. 

Hmmm so a new ignition coil made it worse... “hotter” spark made it worse.

Does this problem get better or worse at all as the engine warms up?

It’s gotta be fuel, air, or spark and you’ve ruled out spark. Fuel pressure was normal so fuel pump and regulator are fine. Injectors could very well be the issue. Especially since hotter spark made it worse. I’m imagining a poor shot of fuel igniting differently because the spark is more intense.

Air/fuel mix could be screwy due to a bad MAF.

So it does not miss at idle, only under light load, or is a lot worse at light load. What about while you are parked if you give it a light amount of gas? Does it miss then?

It misses when it's hot or cold. Not really as noticable until you give it light throttle. The more throttle the less it misses I guess you could say. I can take one plug wire off while it's running and it's not a great noticable difference. As with the injectors I done the same I unplugged them individually while running and have a few that are weak. And it does die immediately when I unplug the MAF sensor. I can just barely open the throttle when parked and it misses pretty bad. I hate to keep just throwing parts at this thing. 

Edited by Redpattypathfinder

5 hours ago, Mrelcocko said:

Has the timing belt been replaced by chance. Just curious.

Sent from my SM-S737TL using Tapatalk

Not by me anyhow. It may have been by the previous owner. It has roughly 160,000 miles on it. 

How long have you had the truck. The reason I'm asking my 97 QX4 had a miss in it when I bought it I replaced everything known to man did not fix it previous owner had a timing belt put on that was my problem the timing belt was put on wrong it was a tooth off. Are you getting any check engine lights? If yes have you ran to see what the codes are? It doesnt make sense it missing when barely raising idle though. My miss and check engine light would go out as long as i never had to sit still for more than a few secs.

This ^. Also, check the resistance of all the injectors. Healthy ones are around 12 or 14ohms. There’s a connector on the passenger side valve cover that should allow you to test all of them including the hidden ones under the intake. I had one that was way out there and causing a misfire.

1 hour ago, Mrelcocko said:

How long have you had the truck. The reason I'm asking my 97 QX4 had a miss in it when I bought it I replaced everything known to man did not fix it previous owner had a timing belt put on that was my problem the timing belt was put on wrong it was a tooth off. Are you getting any check engine lights? If yes have you ran to see what the codes are? It doesnt make sense it missing when barely raising idle though. My miss and check engine light would go out as long as i never had to sit still for more than a few secs.

I've had the truck for right at 2 years. No check engine light now. There was one for a speed sensor but I got that fixed. 

• 2 weeks later...

What are the chances it's the sensor in the distributor? I had a miss at around 2500 rpm's. I tried a lot of things. I replaced the distributor, fixed. 

If you know someone who has a good one to try it first. It's easy enough to swap out. Just mark your distributor prior to removing it.

14 hours ago, RF600 said:

What are the chances it's the sensor in the distributor? I had a miss at around 2500 rpm's. I tried a lot of things. I replaced the distributor, fixed. 

If you know someone who has a good one to try it first. It's easy enough to swap out. Just mark your distributor prior to removing it.

It does have a new distributor in it. I'm currently waiting on the correct MAF sensor to come in from the parts store. I ordered a new one and the mounting holes were opposite of what they needed to be. Parts store says it's a manufacturer defect, the parts store associate has ordered 2 and they have both been wrong mounting locations. He ordered the whole sensor and the housing it bolts to in the air intake. 

Add another ground to the maf. Make sure you get the right wire. If not, melt down.

The reason I say to add another ground to the maf, I have read that the ground will occasionally drop causing issues. I did take it in to the dealer looking for a part and a tech was there also. He verified about the extra ground. 

It won't hurt, it just might help.

Edited by RF600

1 hour ago, RF600 said:

Add another ground to the maf. Make sure you get the right wire. If not, melt down.

The reason I say to add another ground to the maf, I have read that the ground will occasionally drop causing issues. I did take it in to the dealer looking for a part and a tech was there also. He verified about the extra ground. 

It won't hurt, it just might help.

I saw a post on here somewhere about that. I may try that when the new MAF arrives. 

• 3 weeks later...

I had the same annoying problem,,for me i found my HT leads  spark plugs were breaking down, i went to good old fashioned copper plug leaks...works a dream. better than those carbon things , but neihbours might not watch a good tv pic any more..lol

Dust in the dizzy could mean the distributor bearings are going out. Not an uncommon fault and it will cause problems. If you remove the distributor (mark where it was set first!) and spin the shaft, you should be able to tell if the bearings are going.