Has anyone done any performance mods on the 3.3?

Strato_54

Has anyone done any performance mods on the VG33E? Ranging anywhere from just an air intake to straight up boring out the block and serious power. I'm curious as to what i can get out of my little 3.3. If you have done anything to yours, or know exactly what can be done as well as had a friend done things to theirs i would like to know what exactly you did and possible brands if possible. I'm not in the market for serious mods just something small but effective to put some more grunt into it and also curious what is possible with this engine. all info is good info for me no matter what is is. thanks

Edited by Strato_54

13 hours ago, TowndawgR50 said:

3.4L mod. Not a small job. Good power gain. Check out @deltaR50 build thread. 

I’ve read on that and it looks like it would definitely take time. Pretty cool still

To do it properly, you will need the cams and new lifters. A bit involved, but since you have to take the timing belt off, it is a good time to replace the timing belt,(along with seals, water pump, hoses, tensioner, woodruff keys in the crank, valve cover gaskets). Not a major project, but it does take some time and the various bits and pieces do add up. 

5 minutes ago, Mr_Reverse said:

To do it properly, you will need the cams and new lifters. A bit involved, but since you have to take the timing belt off, it is a good time to replace the timing belt,(along with seals, water pump, hoses, tensioner, woodruff keys in the crank, valve cover gaskets). Not a major project, but it does take some time and the various bits and pieces do add up. 

i was expecting a "maybe 5hp from an air filter" response not stuff like this lmao. id probably have to play goose hunt with most of these parts if i did ever decide to take on this project. this is actually very intriguing. with all of this how much horse is coming out of it from the original 168?

Does anyone know about the Eaton M62?

Probably cheaper to get an oem sc from a xterra or frontier. Not much more power though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, Strato_54 said:

i was expecting a "maybe 5hp from an air filter" response not stuff like this lmao. id probably have to play goose hunt with most of these parts if i did ever decide to take on this project. this is actually very intriguing. with all of this how much horse is coming out of it from the original 168?

The VG33E is a good motor, but not a powerful one.  I'd just run it stock and enjoy the reliability - or trade out your truck for a VQ35DE year (2000+), the market really doesn't differentiate too much on price, and you get 80 more horsepower. 

Edited by Inyourface1650

2 hours ago, Inyourface1650 said:

The VG33E is a good motor, but not a powerful one.  I'd just run it stock and enjoy the reliability - or trade out your truck for a VQ35DE year (2000+), the market really doesn't differentiate too much on price, and you get 80 more horsepower. 

As i said im not going to play with it too much. ill probably throw on an intake and maybe a few other things along those lines. i just was curious as to what is possible with these engines 

Jwt makes some pretty sweet cams as well. Supposedly they’re one of the biggest bang for the buck mods. Headers would help and aren’t too pricey. Then exhaust and a snorkel to let her breathe 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 6/26/2019 at 9:52 PM, Sjackson2 said:

If I remember right you just need the vg30 cams and the crank pulleys. Maybe someone else can chime in if they’re aware 

why do you need the crank pulley to be replaced by changing the camshafts. i cant seem to understand whats the relation between the cam swap.