What broke on your Pathfinder today?

onespiritbrain

Well now we have the whole dashboard light and the air control lights that won’t go on when the headlights go on. Assuming it is a fuse somewhere just not sure which/where.

Just pull them all & look. It should be inside. These are your fuse boxes:
6225415754f36882b62de600b63792cf.jpg7985c226fd28264aaf988c536227a84d.jpgaac1877b5126afe0f86bf102139e3181.jpg5a67224ef05ec791eac84b36f9243c32.jpg
BTW, they make fuses that glow when blown. A little expensive but can be handy. I replaced all of them in my Mom’s truck with glow fuses after having to pull ALL of her fuses twice to find the blown fuse.

First off, check the dimmer control. There are many times I had complaints that the dash lights aren't working that I "fixed" by turning the illumination dial up because it had been dialed down to minimum somehow. 

If the exterior marker lights (also called park lights) are working, then it is not a fuse problem. if they are working and if turning up the illumination doesn't fix the problem, then the dimmer unit has likely failed or got unplugged somehow. 

As for finding a blown fuse, I find it easiest to use a cordless test light (they are pretty cheap these days) and touch the tip to the test points on the top of the fuse (the little square holes on each end) and if you have power on one side and not the other, the fuse is bad. Couple seconds per fuse, can usually get through the entire fuse block in less than a minute. The test light takes up very little space in the glove box and is very handy when working on DC circuits. 

Those are both excellent recommendations. I’d forgotten about the dimmer. We accidentally fried one of mine back in ‘04 & my replacement is a little touchy. You can bypass it to see if that fixes the problem.

• 1 month later...

Hey all,

Got some fan/belt whining after driving through a couple deep puddles 2 weeks ago - since then the compressor belt blew out completely and I'm working on figuring out how to replace all the belts since they are all pretty worn. Idler pulley bearings are shot so that's gonna get replaced. 

More troubling is the strange clunking I'm getting now when I slow down to a stop; it feels like gears slipping, and stops when I put it into Neutral (Automatic). Doesn't seem to matter whether or not its in 4x4. Worried it's going to hit the dirt any minute now! 

Edited by mrshine

• 2 months later...

Edit: crossed the fuel hoses at the pump.. all good now other that the sputtering and missing. Guessing from the bad fuel..

Truck won't start. Fuel related. I prematurely thought it was my junkyard pump going out since my tank is slight rusty. Pulled the pump to see that the pre-filter broke off. Swapped in a new pump and nada. So assumed that the fuel filter is clogged. Pulled the filter and it was dry. Disconnected the line and placed it in a bottle and primed the pump. I hear it prime but nothing is coming out... I'm sure I connected fuel lines back correctly. 

What am I missing? I turn the ignition on, I hear pump prime and stop. Turn off the key and I hear a click from a relay seconds later. 

Edited by Cuong Nguyen

• 1 month later...

I was just driving down the road, on the way back to my job with a smile on my face, and THUD....engine is dead. I coast into the turning lane and put it in park. Attempts to crank the engine all fail...the engine turns over and sounds completely normal but just will not crank! I get out and look under the hood for some time and cant locate a single thing that might be wrong.

After sitting there a while and debating whether to walk back or call someone (just started a new job and didnt want them to think I suck at fixing things...if only they saw my transmission blunder hahahaha) I remembered that I have the OBDii scanner and so I ran a scan. "P1320 Primary Ignition Signal Fault" was the code..

After researching for a little while I settled on the coil pack inside the distributor. Damn! I work in the middle of Lawrenceville GA on highway 20 and there's a ton of traffic... I waited for a break in traffic far off in the distance and started pushing as hard as I could and when the break got to where I was I jerked the wheel and made it across the lanes into a small African produce store. 

I went inside the store and the kindest old African man not only let me leave my car in front of his store but also insisted on helping me fix the issue. The part wouldn't be there until much later that evening so I thanked him and walked back to work.

A month or so prior my best friend and I went to a junkyard we found in the middle of Jefferson GA and I just so happened to find a pristine factory OEM Nissan distributor on a QX4 that just so happened to also have the rear wing that I'd been searching for since the beginning of this thread! I had my wife bring me the part and my vehicle fired right up! Woo!

Now I have a waterfall of an oil leak coming from somewhere...better not be the heads! I believe its a camshaft seal or maybe the front crank seal. We shall see...I'm adding 2-3quarts a week at this point.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

VG33 distributors seem to fail a lot these days. The aftermarket ones are crap. Mine is still on the original one but I've changed a few for people and my roommates frontier ate 3 aftermarket replacements in a month.

I set up my solar panel on my roof, and was working out of the back of my Pathfinder. A gust of wind came up, blew the solar panel off the roof, hitting the rear window (which was open), then smashing into the back of my head, flipping over me, and onto the ground. 

This happened yesterday, and my head still hurts, but surprising, the solar panel didn't break. Even the connectors and wires are seemingly okay. I put it back on, and it's charging again. 
Only the plastic hinge for the rear window glass broke. 

51069110858_36c36eb9f2_k.jpgNissan-5442-Broken_Window_Bracket-3600x1958 by Aaron Horrocks, on Flickr

Edited by AaronHorrocks

On 3/11/2021 at 4:05 PM, onespiritbrain said:

Now I have a waterfall of an oil leak coming from somewhere...better not be the heads! I believe its a camshaft seal or maybe the front crank seal. We shall see...I'm adding 2-3quarts a week at this point.

Damn. That's a lot of oil. Have you figured out the source?