First post, and looking for some (non-mechanical) buying advice

pazuzu

Hi everyone. This is my first post
I have read most of the technical articles regarding R50 and am ready to buy one and found one I might like.

--2001 LE auto. AllMode 4WD, Leather, heated seats, sunroof, ugly fake wood trim (Can one replace those with custom panels of a different finish?)
--Owner installed tow hitch. (looks like a good clean install)
--92,000 miles
--2 owners.
--In very good to excellent condition, in and out. No rust. Test drive was solid.
--Was asking $6,100 and has agreed to $5,100
--Current owner has recently done: plugs, brakes, O2 sensors, oil change, brake fluid change, and ATF fluid... (WHY? preventative, he said).
--Passed recent state inspection.

Current owner hasn’t owned it for long and wants to get a 4runner but is sort of a Nissan suv collector of some sort. Had a very old mint R50 form the 90s in his garage.

However when I asked if I can get a pre purchase inspection done at a shop of my choice and at my cost he says he doesn’t have time this week to do it. Also didn’t want to me to bring it to a shop without him.
(I guess I can sort of understand THAT part, although he met my whole family already when we saw the car...)

He is emailing the VIN later today, so I can run a carfax or auto check report. (Will update when I get it)

What do you think?
Is it a good deal? for the price and the condition
Should his hesitancy about the pre purchase inspection be regarded as a bad sign? Or should I be ok if the carfax report is good?
Am I being too difficult?
Should I not buy until he can take the car for the PPI? (Then I am afraid it will sell and I lost a good chance)

Thanks IA for any advice you might have.

Rust is really the biggest concern that ive found on these things. The TSBs NTB11-064H and NTB11-066G define the issues and the areas of the front strut housing corrosion problems.

So if you have found one with no rust on it, that $5100 is probably worth it IMO. I purchased a vehicle very similar to what you describe. I bought mine in georgia last year for $4300 with 82k on the odo, same options except manual 4wd. But even despite the mileage, i immediately had to put new tires and new springs and struts on it just so it didnt ride like a boat.

I suppose i didnt HAVE to spend $1400 on it right away.... probably could have nickle and dimed it until i absolutely HAD to replace those things.... But it rides like a dream now and i dont regret it one bit. Just remember, no matter what vehicle it is, you will always be buying somebody elses problems. I dont know how strict your state inspection is, but the state says its road worthy, and if you test drove it and liked it, then id say go for it.

As long as you like the color, options, and ride.... no regrets. Even if there is something wrong, its yours and you can always fix it.

Oh and yes, the trim is all replaceable. A pull-a-part yard is your best friend on that one.

• Like 1