How to get engine lined back up

Volox

Wasn't sure whether this was a better fit for this or for the 1995 Pathfinder section, but it seemed like a more general question, so I'm doing it here. I'm working in getting the engine back into place after having had it rebuilt.

After much use of select vocabulary and hours of alternating between standing on my head and rolling around under the truck, I've managed to get the transmission bolted back to the VG30E

Where I'm now struggling is getting the engine mounts and exhaust pipes to line up. I thought I had the one engine mount lined up but the screws don't seem to want to grab the threads. The exhaust manifold to pipe connection seems like it ought to flex into place, but I can't seem to flex it the right direction.

Anyone have any tips or tricks on how to get these two things ironed out?

Also, everyone always suggests using 'good fuel' for break in. How have others gone about removing the old fuel before starting things up?

Not much help, but I left the bolts loose between the motor mounts and engine while positioning the engine. Used a lot of swear words and a prybar to get the mounts to line up on the frame. Once I got the mounts aligned and bolts started in the holes, finished lowering the engine and tightened all the bolts and nuts. 

You could use a jumper wire and just run the fuel pump to pump out the fuel tank. Had to do that with a 2018 Frontier last year when the driver filled the almost empty fuel tank with diesel. Apparently the truck made it about 10 miles before it quit and refused to start again. Also had to replace 4 O2 sensors and 4 cats before it was able to run without setting codes. Don't think Enterprise was too happy with that renter. 

Edited by Mr_Reverse

Yeah I was contemplating loosening those bolts up, but it felt like going backwards. (and $@&# are some of them hard to get at)

What about the exhaust manifold to pipe connections? Problem there is that loosening the manifold bolts really doesn't provide any play. If I attached the pipe first, I don't think I'd stand a chance at getting the manifold loved into it's studs; that was hard enough with it on the engine stand.

With the Y pipe to manifolds, made sure the studs were installed fully into manifolds and then undid the exhaust hangers on the rest of the system. Then used more colorful words and a prybar to force things together. I leave the nuts loose until I get both sides on, then tighten the pipe to manifold nuts. Then reattach the hangers. 

Managed to get the exhaust pipes lined up and screwed on... I'm sure my neighbors wondered why I had 3 large 2x2s stuffed into my engine compartment.

However I royally screwed the pooch on the engine mounts. Got the passenger side lined up without too much trouble, just loosening bolts and applying a little pressure in the right direction.

The driver side is where things went wrong... I thought I had the bolts from the engine mount to the bracket on the engine lined up (the screws that pass through the thin metal plate). Getting them lined up required unbolting the motor mount front the frame.  From there took what seemed like an act of God to get there motor mount back on the frame again.

That all would have been good, except for the fact that the back bolt that I thought I had lined up was actually cross threaded!!!

So now I have a bolt with 3 or 4 rings of thread chewed off and a bracket hole that probably has the same problem. Knowing how hard that bolt is to line up when things are in good shape, I'm not sure I stand a chance with it stripped like that.

Any suggestions?

Do I grind / smooth fown the bad threads off the end of the screw to give it more 'lead' into the hole to line up? Or get a new bolt and pray the hole isn't too FUBAR? Or take the bracket off and start over?

Edited by Volox

You can try cutting down the threads on the end of the bolt and then cut a notch length wise in the bolt like a self tapping screw and try running it in. The threads are probably damaged a bit in the bracket and the notch might allow the bolt to clean them up. Otherwise best bet would be to pull the mount bracket and either run a tap through the hole or replace the bracket. 

I just went out and looked at mine to refresh my memory on how it all is and decided that was something else my 3" body lift makes easier. Also noticed that the mount I replaced along with the engine back in 03ish is looking like it is cracking at the top. Something else to deal with one of these days...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Mr_Reverse - Just wanted to thank you for all the advice along the way. It took 2 ratchet straps, two wooden crowbars, a hammer, a long handled screwdriver (which is now useless), several attempts, and more curse words than I could count.... But I did finally get those dang things lined up.

Ended up having to cut the threads into the nut on the mount with a good screw after thanking the whole mess off the engine.  Then had to do some real interesting acrobatics to put the solid mounts back onto the engine.

Let's just say that next time the mounts need work, I'm most likely going to let some sucker at an automotive shop do the cursing.

Lol, I know what you mean. Unfortunately, I am that lucky guy in the auto shop that gets the fun of doing those wonderful jobs. Most of them don't pay enough for the work involved. 

• Like 1