Distributor at 11 deg BTDC

Mrelcocko

Hey guys having a little bit of problems with my 96 R50 3.3. I've taken number one spark plug out rotated engine put number one piston on compression stroke made sure rotor on distributor was facing number one plug but when trying to time it I can only turn the distributor so far until the distributor hold down bolt prevents me from going any further anyone have any suggestions on what the problem might be I've heard the old saying the distributor could be off a tooth but I know when I put the distributor in I put it in by aligning the marks on the housing like the fsm suggested. I installed a timing belt about 7 months ago. I don't have any issues with it missing or any codes coming up like p0300 or nothing like that

Sent from my SM-S737TL using Tapatalk

The distributor does sound like it was reinstalled one tooth off. The gear on the bottom of the distributor is helical, so the distributor shaft will rotate as you drop the distributor into place. I would note the position of the rotor, pull the distributor up to disengage the gear, rotate it slightly, then drop it back down so that the rotor is in a different position. A timing light will help determine if you're 15 BTDC.

Edited by XPLORx4

The distributor does sound like it was reinstalled one tooth off. The gear on the bottom of the distributor is helical, so the distributor shaft will rotate as you drop the distributor into place. I would note the position of the rotor, pull the distributor up to disengage the gear, rotate it slightly, then drop it back down so that the rotor is in a different position. A timing light will help determine if you're 15 BTDC.
When installing the distributor I must have had my notches on the housing not lined up right because I used a timing light to time it but like I said I can't get it to 15 degrees BTDC because of the hold down bolt. Thanks I'll pull it out and drop it back in like you said see if that will work I really appreciate it thanks. See why this forum is the greatest on Earth you can't even get service like that if I took it to a Nissan / Infiniti dealer.

I am having trouble remembering exactly where mine is set but I think I had to set it past 20 to get it running right.

There’s 13 teeth on the distributor gear so that’s 28 degrees per tooth and one tooth off would mean your ignition timing would be very far off and might not run at all or it might even backfire.

Edit: ohhh wait so you can’t get to 15 at all. Yeah it’s probably off a tooth on the dizzy

• Like 1

I am having trouble remembering exactly where mine is set but I think I had to set it past 20 to get it running right.

There’s 13 teeth on the distributor gear so that’s 28 degrees per tooth and one tooth off would mean your ignition timing would be very far off and might not run at all or it might even backfire.

Edit: ohhh wait so you can’t get to 15 at all. Yeah it’s probably off a tooth on the dizzy
I can get to 11BTDC but the hold down bolt prevents me from going any further.

So should i just align the marks up like the FSM says and put it back in, or pull it out and move it one tooth? Forward or backwards direction on the one tooth?

When I turn to the distributor to try to get it in time I turn it clockwise so when I pull it back out do I need to go back a tooth counterclockwise or clockwise?

If the distributor won't rotate any further clockwise to get timing correct and you're still 4 degrees low, you should move it anti clockwise by one tooth to give you a more centered range of adjustment.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
If the distributor won't rotate any further clockwise to get timing correct and you're still 4 degrees low, you should move it anti clockwise by one tooth to give you a more centered range of adjustment.
I'll definitely give it a try. Thanks.

It probably is one tooth off. I put a new engine in my 1989 Subaru Omega (NZ equivalent of a Loyale) and had to swap the dizzy over, meaning my distributor was off. Not by much, but it wouldn't start. Just had to keep taking it in and out until I could get it timed to 8 deg BTDC (factory spec for the EA82 carby motor). Then it started first pop.

• Like 1