Humming noise at passenger front wheel area

A noise has revealed itself now that I have some tires that don’t howl. I thought it was just a harmonic of the howling from the tires but it’s not the case. The noise persists and sounds like the lowish hum of a persons voice.

It follows wheel speed and peaks in intensity at about 50mph.

It’s not the tires for sure. It’s the exact same noise that I thought was coming from the previous set.

I really don’t believe it is the bearings because I just repacked them a couple weeks ago and they looked perfect and are completely solid.

These CV axles are trashed though... the passenger pops like crazy in 4x4 under acceleration. The boots have been gone for years now and I just pack them with grease after it rains (or any water ingress) and at oil changes.

c4cf605ed3174bfa3a04f59914c43303.jpg

I just put my vehicle up at the corners and ran it up to 60mph in 4x4 then I chocked each wheel to isolate each side and sure enough it’s coming from the front passenger side.

Is it possible that a humming noise one might associate with a wheel bearing could come from a CV joint?? I’ve never heard of such a thing..

If it's clapped enough to pop in 4x, I'd be surprised if it didn't make some noise the rest of the time. If you want to be sure, you could remove the drive plates (or unlock the hubs if you've got manual hubs) and try it like that. If the noise goes away when the CVs aren't spinning, there's your problem confirmed.

• Like 1

If it's clapped enough to pop in 4x, I'd be surprised if it didn't make some noise the rest of the time. If you want to be sure, you could remove the drive plates (or unlock the hubs if you've got manual hubs) and try it like that. If the noise goes away when the CVs aren't spinning, there's your problem confirmed.

It won’t tear anything up removing that plate and driving around? If not then that’s exactly what I’ll do!

1 hour ago, onespiritbrain said:

It won’t tear anything up removing that plate and driving around? If not then that’s exactly what I’ll do!

I’d probably do it with the wheels off the ground first and see if it still makes noise 

Won't hurt anything if it is a short drive to confirm the noise. Some grease is likely to get flung around though. Just make sure you remove both drive flanges, or you will still get noise and movement because of the differential getting power from the wheel that still has the flange. 

I have heard a variety of noises from worn CVs, I believe that is the source of the noise from your pics and description. 

The bearings wouldn't be sealed and the axles wouldn't be retained properly, so I wouldn't trust it very far (or through water or dust), but I'd expect once or twice around the block to be alright. I don't think the axles could slide out of the hubs enough to get loose, though I'd want to check that before going for it. Given that you already know the axle is junk, though, I'd be inclined to just replace it and get it over with.

• Like 1

It was the damn inner wheel bearing...

I took the axels out altogether while I was installing camber bolts and changing out my sway bar end links and the noise persisted.

So aside from having to cut the friggin end links out I had to do the whole job over again plus a wheel bearing.

I swear that bearing was fine a month ago. I think maybe I overtightened it after I repacked it. That means the other side is overtightened as well..

I have tried tightening to 80ft# then 18in# or whatever and that has never worked. I always end up with loose bearings a week or two later. Now I tighten to 80ft# and then probably 10ft# but that 10ft# was more like 30ft# that day. I guess I should loosen the other side a little bit..?

I believe I am experiencing something similar. I will dissemble hubs tomorrow and retorque. I thought I read somewhere it is necessary to go back a week or two after the initial torquing to give it another tightening.

At least you found it! I did notice mine needed retensioning a while after I did them. I assumed they'd just kind of settled in, or I hadn't gone quite far enough the last time. I didn't set mine to a specific torque, I just go hand tight to seat them, loosen off, then finger tight until there's no end play plus whatever it takes to get the lock screws to line up.

Was the bearing obviously damaged when you got it out?

No, it was not obvious at all. Actually i almost put it back in but i thought i would clean all the grease out first and so i did using compressed air (yes i was also just playing with it) and while it was spinning in my hand it started making the exact same noise so i chucked it across the room and put a new chinesium bearing in.

edit: i could see discoloration on the outer race where heat was building up but the cage and rollers looked nearly perfect. It had to be the inner race that was damaged..

Edited by onespiritbrain
  • Like 1