SCJax2018

What is the best engine oil to run in a 96 3.3L with just over 200K on it? 

Right now I am running Castro 5w30, but I wondering if I should run the Castro High Mileage 5W30?

The engine doesn't burn any oil to speak of (It does slobber a little bit out of the passenger side valve cover, but it is barely noticeable).

Usually when the oil does start to go down it is time for an oil change anyway.

I can't speak to your 3.3 but I do know most high mileage oil is basically the same as the normal oil, but with some seal additives and maybe more friction reducers. With that being said there is nothing wrong with moving up to the highmileage especially considering you got 200k. 

• Like 1

There's probably a thread on the Bob Is The Oil Guy forum going into detail about why/whether the high-mileage is better, if you're curious. I'm running a Valvoline high-mileage blend in mine because it was cheap and I figured why not. I don't expect it to fix my oil leaks, make me more attractive to women, or bring peace to the middle east, but the oil did seem a bit cleaner than usual the last time I changed it, so maybe the synthetic part is doing some good.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

There's probably a thread on the Bob Is The Oil Guy forum going into detail about why/whether the high-mileage is better, if you're curious. I'm running a Valvoline high-mileage blend in mine because it was cheap and I figured why not. I don't expect it to fix my oil leaks, make me more attractive to women, or bring peace to the middle east, but the oil did seem a bit cleaner than usual the last time I changed it, so maybe the synthetic part is doing some good.

“New study finds that high mileage oil not only keeps engines running longer, but also cures baldness, improves mood, and can lead to lower blood pressure” My goodness that was funny. That or im

up too early

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I always put walmart brand full synthetic highmileage in mine. It has done well as far as i know. it is my opinion that with the 3.3's small oil volume that 3000 mile oil changes are the sweet spot, even when using "synthetic" oils. 5000 miles and my oil is thin and completely black. ive noticed that lifter ticking sort of follows this as well. mine ticks all the time quietly but starts getting noticeably louder around 3k and is prominent at 5k. 

• Like 1

What is the best engine oil to run in a 96 3.3L with just over 200K on it? 

Right now I am running Castro 5w30, but I wondering if I should run the Castro High Mileage 5W30?

The engine doesn't burn any oil to speak of (It does slobber a little bit out of the passenger side valve cover, but it is barely noticeable).

Usually when the oil does start to go down it is time for an oil change anyway.

Ive been using Valvoline 5w30 full synthetic in my 97 Q for about for 6 months now and im very pleased. You can use 10w30 if your in a warmer climate, but i personally just stick with the 5w30. I also use the same full synthetic plus Lucas synthetic oil stabilizer in my 96 Pathy 3.3 and she purrs like a kitten. It has 250k on the odometer. When you buy an oil that is high mileage to me I think you're just wasting your money but it's really up to you. Whatever you prefer is honestly the best to use in your 3.3. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-S737TL using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Oil questions are interesting. Everyone has their brand they prefer. The most important thing, change it regularly.  Doesn't matter if it's dino or synthetic. 

Personally I have started using 10/30. Summers get hot here, winters aren't that bad. Rarely freezes here. 

• Like 2