Rebuild / reassembly questions

Volox

I'm putting my rebuilt engine back together again and wondered if anyone had opinions on any of the following...

• I'm replacing the fuel injectors
    • Any experience with the different brands?
    • The Denso's seem to be way more expensive; are they better?
    • If I can get blue dot or black dot (since it's a full replacement) which should I go with?
  • Motor mounts
    • How can you tell if the stock mounts have gone bad?
    • If I'm going to replace, should I go with the solid or the hydraulic?
    • Any particular brand suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

No difference in the blue dot or the black dot, my 1990 came with  the blue dot injectors, replaced with a couple of Densos just because I was changing the fuel lines in between the rails and I had a bad injector (fouled I think) #2 if memory serves.... I think the Denso are the OE injectors, someone who knows for sure will hopefully correct me on that if I'm wrong. As far as the motor mounts goes I have no idea, never pulled the motor or watched it shake more than 3/4" even under throttle snapping.... Anyone else?

Hitachi or Bosch are OE.

I'd replace with all of the same that was in there, but as long as they're all the same it should be fine.

Motor mounts have someone apply throttle while it's in drive and reverse with the brakes on. The engine should move a bit but not too much. If they're bad it will literally flop around.

Generally people recommend keeping the injectors matched. Mine's got five blue dots and one black dot (or the other way around, don't remember) and it doesn't seem to care.

And yeah, brakestand it with someone watching the engine and see if it lifts up off its mounts. Should be pretty obvious if it's got a bad mount. Some people reinforce stock mounts with a chain from top to bottom to limit how far the mount can pull apart (preventing the rubber from separating or keeping the mount mostly together if it does). Rugged Rocks has heavy-duty mounts if you want something stronger than stock without modification. IIRC they're stiffer than the stock mounts, so you may notice a little more vibration getting transmitted to the frame/body.

If your mounts are shot, check your air intake tube while you're in there. It may rip if it's the only thing besides gravity holding the engine down.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm just replacing the whole set of injectors so it looks like color choice doesn't matter.

I took a close look at the motor mounts and although I don't think they are broken yet, there is lots of cracking on the rubber. Since the engine is already out, seems like a good time to get new mounts in there so I don't have to mess with it in another couple of thousand miles. The cost of the mounts is far less than the labor hours time it take to get them out and back in again later.

One other thing I'm trying to track down... What is the easiest way to replace the connector that goes to the oil pressure sensor? The plastic connector and wire on mine broke during disassembly due to age and being soaked with oil. I'm trying to figure out whether there is a replacement connector I can splice in? Or if that is part of one of the wiring harnesses that I could replace? Any info or suggestions?

If it is like the switch in my 93, you can just crimp an insulated female spade connector on to the wire. It is just a standard 1/4” if I recall correctly. It is the most common sized one. It doesn't need the big square outer housing like the factory plug.