Parking break/Emergency break not working

jonathanpalmer12

If your hydraulic rear brakes are drums, the e-brake uses the same set of shoes, so they won't do much if your rear brakes aren't adjusted properly. If you're got rear disks, they've got little drums built into them, and those also need adjustment to work properly. I've got rear disks on mine and didn't know about the adjusters on the little brakes at first, so when adjusting the cable didn't do much, I figured the shoes were whupped and took it apart to replace them. The old ones looked about the same as the new ones, so I left them there, put it back together, adjusted both sides, and then adjusted the cable, and now it grabs hard enough to stop the truck... or get the rear end sideways when it snows and I feel the need to act like a teenager. :lol:

• Like 1

Slartibartfast nailed it square on the head. My emergency brake wasn't working either and it turned out that my rear brake shoes were running way too loose. I adjusted the rear brakes through the brake adjustment hole and the emergency brakes worked like they should. I also removed some sponginess I had in the brakes when I adjusted the rear brakes. It turned out that they were both several turns out of adjustment.