Greetings from an new owner in Virginia (unfortunately engine problems!)

Hello,

Tuesday evening a bought a 2003 SE 4WD with 144,000 miles.

Weds morning it blew thick white smoke when I started it up.

I called the independent dealer that sold it to me, and they said it's not a blown head gasket (my guess), and to drive it hard for 100 miles.

75 miles later, the "service engine soon light' came on, and it tried to over-heat, but I kept the temp around 200 F  (no higher than 205) as I drove home with the heat on full,

and coasting in neutral when needed.

I'll work with the dealer, and hopefully get some relief... it supposedly has as warranty for up to $1,000 of repairs on the powertrain, but otherwise was sold as-is.

i thought I'd say hello to everyone, and also ask for advice on engine repairs vs. getting a lower mileage engine and doing a swap.

The body is good, and there isn't any significant rust (surface rust underneath, but no body rust and nothing concerning).

It's not a perfect truck, but I didn't break the bank buying it... so even though I think i was duped, if i can straighten this out, I'll accept it and move on.

Anyway,  hello to everyone.   I will post this same info in a separate thread in another part of the forum, so please reply there with any advice.

Thanks, and good to meet you all!

-Philip

Here's the thread where I ask for help and advice about the engine problems on my just-purchased 2003 Pathy...

White smoke and code p0021 - repair or swap engine?

Edited by pjbrownva
Added link to thread asking for advice...

1 minute ago, pjbrownva said:

Hello,

Tuesday evening a bought a 2003 SE 4WD with 144,000 miles.

Weds morning it blew thick white smoke when I started it up.

I called the independent dealer that sold it to me, and they said it's not a blown head gasket (my guess), and to drive it hard for 100 miles.

75 miles later, the "service engine soon light' came on, and it tried to over-heat, but I kept the temp around 200 F  (no higher than 205) as I drove home with the heat on full,

and coasting in neutral when needed.

I'll work with the dealer, and hopefully get some relief... it supposedly has as warranty for up to $1,000 of repairs on the powertrain, but otherwise was sold as-is.

i thought I'd say hello to everyone, and also ask for advice on engine repairs vs. getting a lower mileage engine and doing a swap.

The body is good, and there isn't any significant rust (surface rust underneath, but no body rust and nothing concerning).

It's not a perfect truck, but I didn't break the bank buying it... so even though I think i was duped, if i can straighten this out, I'll accept it and move on.

Anyway,  hello to everyone.   I will post this same info in a separate thread in another part of the forum, so please reply there with any advice.

Thanks, and good to meet you all!

-Philip

Just replied to my post so  that i can check "notify me of replies"...    didn't see another way to do it!  ?