coilover conversion

Has anyone done a coilover conversion? I just feel like there more potential for flex out of the IFS on the pathfinder if you delete the torsion bars. I keep seeing kits for the hardbody, but it looks like a different lower control arm than on the pathfinders.

The 4wd D21 Hardbody and both the 2wd and 4wd WD21 Pathfinders had the same front suspensions and parts were generally interchangeable. The 2wd Hardbody had a completely different suspension, except for the Desert Runner version I think it was.

The control arms on the 4x4's are so short, that the limits are from them and the CV's, rather than the torsion bars. 

Thanks for the quick  response, and I figured all the lower control arms were the same. One kit I saw wasn't very specific and I guess I was hoping it was an aftermarket kit I had never seen before.

What about ride quality?

Is it even something anyone has played with?  maybe its a waste of time but i figured some one out there has thought about it.

I know of only one person that has done it and Mr. Reverse may recall of it. For it to work, they utilized the Trailmaster lift it to drop the front and aftermarket control arms to clear the coilover and custom towers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Ok sweet, that sounds like a challenge, but I'm glad to hear it's possible! Thanks for the info, I am trying to look at all my options before I get too crazy with mods. The goal of course is to upgrade the suspension to fit my off-roading style best the first time, but I'm sure I'll end up changing things again and again.

Yep, from what I recall, the guy that did it said it was a PITA. The big challenge was to figure out how to attach to the LCA that was strong enough that it wouldn't come apart while in hard use and still clear the axle-shaft. 

Good luck in your project, you might come up with something better. 

It does seem like I would need some sort of fabricated UCA and LCA to make it work right. I've always wonder why I haven't seen any aftermarket LCA to at least help with the lower ball joint though. 

Thanks again for the info, now if I decide to try and make my own conversion I know it's possible and about where to start.

there are some pictures of black92se he is the one who had the pathy with coilovers, his rig is long gone, and it did use the TM 4" kit for more room aswell as a BL I believe.

not worth it IMHO.

• Like 1