Roof Top Tent Platform

SCJax2018

Does anyone have or know where I can get a set of plans for a roof top tent platform for a 96 Pathfinder LE? I did a Google search and hit on every year, make, and model of vehicle but a 96 Pathfinder.

As far as I know, no one makes a proper roof rack for the R50 other than some simple cross bar setups.

I made low profile cross bars out of old Thule square load bars using the method that Stioc listed here: 

I had to put around an inch of aluminum between the bottom of the bar and the mounting feet to allow enough room to fit my hand under the bars to tighten the tents bolts (it was still pretty tight!). 

I had a Thule roof rack setup with the correct podium mounts for the crossbars but I found this method to be much more secure, plus it looks better and lowers my center of gravity.

I can snap some photos if you're interested in seeing my final result.

Edited by dezm
  • Like 1

Rzv6U9K.jpg
D9mggZ4.jpg

EtnPhzN.jpg

DILoPKS.jpg

You could definitely do a cleaner job than me, I was doing mine in a rush before a trip with very limited tools/metal working knowledge :)

Edited by dezm
  • Like 1

One thing to note: Depending on the width of your tent, you might run into issues with the bolts that come up through the load bar interfering with the base. Luckily my tent had grooves in it that I was able to line up the bolts to as my tent is very wide.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/14/2019 at 5:08 AM, SCJax2018 said:

Thank you! That gives me something to work with. I'm building mine from scratch and wasn't exactly sure how to go about mounting it.

Post up some pics once you're done! Would love to see how you ended up mounting.

• Thanks 1