When to extend bump stops?

DesertKyle

Hey guys, first post on here but been reading a lot the last few months while fixing up our pathfinder. I recently installed some extended length bilstein 5100s (pn 33-185552, ~2" longer) but haven't had the chance to cycle the suspension yet.

I'm planning on extending the brake line and diff breather before doing any real off roading but haven't found a definitive answer on bump stops. Am I in danger of bottoming out the shocks without extending the stops? Currently running a 2" spacer lift but planning on getting LR 9947's soon to replace my sagging stock springs.

Thanks in advance!

Hey guys, first post on here but been reading a lot the last few months while fixing up our pathfinder. I recently installed some extended length bilstein 5100s (pn 33-185552, ~2" longer) but haven't had the chance to cycle the suspension yet.

I'm planning on extending the brake line and diff breather before doing any real off roading but haven't found a definitive answer on bump stops. Am I in danger of bottoming out the shocks without extending the stops? Currently running a 2" spacer lift but planning on getting LR 9947's soon to replace my sagging stock springs.

Thanks in advance!

you mean lr9447s right? they’re the land rover springs that go with the 2” lift you have. you should get ahold of bump stops off an f250 that’s what i’ve read a lot of others doing after getting the longer shocks. you also need to check to make sure your diff breather tube and brake lines are okay at full flex at that point.

also welcome to NPORA!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, spicyheckboi said:

you mean lr9447s right? they’re the land rover springs that go with the 2” lift you have. you should get ahold of bump stops off an f250 that’s what i’ve read a lot of others doing after getting the longer shocks. you also need to check to make sure your diff breather tube and brake lines are okay at full flex at that point.

also welcome to NPORA!!

Thanks for the welcome! I have some body lift spacers I can use to extend the bump stops if necessary.  Yeah I meant the 9447's. I won't run the spacers in back though once I get them. I need to just jack it up and flex the suspension to check it out but can't do that at my apartment so haven't had the chance yet.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, spicyheckboi said:

also welcome to NPORA!!

10 hours ago, DesertKyle said:

Thanks in advance!

Those shocks will work fine without extending bumpstops. As for using F250 bumpstops, the perpetrator of that experiment would be me. I don’t know that I’ve quite bottomed out my rear suspesnion since putting those in, but they gave me another 2-3” of bumpstop. Typically, If you go to a shock longer than the 26” ones, you should extend bumpstops, as those shocks tend to compress at a longer length and may be the limiting factor in suspension uptravel, which they are not designed to do. Also worth noting is that the 26” shocks (2” lift shocks) should not require brake line/diff breather extension (from my understanding), but do check that on your own vehicle to make sure of that. It’s also worth noting in this discussion that pre-facelift and post facelift R50’s have different shock mounts. The info I just listed applies to my experience and the experience of others with post-facelift R50’s (1999.5-2004). @micahfelker put in 29” bilsteins and dropped a coil on the trail due to having higher shock mounts than me or @02_Pathy, who also run the 29/16 bilsteins.

Edited by PathyDude17
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, PathyDude17 said:

Those shocks will work fine without extending bumpstops. As for using F250 bumpstops, the perpetrator of that experiment would be me. I don’t know that I’ve quite bottomed out my rear suspesnion since putting those in, but they gave me another 2-3” of bumpstop. Typically, If you go to a shock longer than the 26” ones, you should extend bumpstops, as those shocks tend to compress at a longer length and may be the limiting factor in suspension uptravel, which they are not designed to do. Also worth noting is that the 26” shocks (2” lift shocks) should not require brake line/diff breather extension (from my understanding), but do check that on your own vehicle to make sure of that. It’s also worth noting in this discussion that pre-facelift and post facelift R50’s have different shock mounts. The info I just listed applies to my experience and the experience of others with post-facelift R50’s (1999.5-2004). @micahfelker put in 29” bilsteins and dropped a coil on the trail due to having higher shock mounts than me or @02_Pathy, who also run the 29/16 bilsteins.

My understanding of the shock mounts of pre and post facelift is that they’re basically just reversed and you can just press and swap the bushings 

29 minutes ago, Sjackson2 said:

My understanding of the shock mounts of pre and post facelift is that they’re basically just reversed and you can just press and swap the bushings 

The lower mount is higher up on the axle on pre facelifts, hence @micahfelker losing a coil on the trails whereas i retain my coils at full flex

Those shocks will work fine without extending bumpstops. As for using F250 bumpstops, the perpetrator of that experiment would be me. I don’t know that I’ve quite bottomed out my rear suspesnion since putting those in, but they gave me another 2-3” of bumpstop. Typically, If you go to a shock longer than the 26” ones, you should extend bumpstops, as those shocks tend to compress at a longer length and may be the limiting factor in suspension uptravel, which they are not designed to do. Also worth noting is that the 26” shocks (2” lift shocks) should not require brake line/diff breather extension (from my understanding), but do check that on your own vehicle to make sure of that. It’s also worth noting in this discussion that pre-facelift and post facelift R50’s have different shock mounts. The info I just listed applies to my experience and the experience of others with post-facelift R50’s (1999.5-2004). [mention=38818]micahfelker[/mention] put in 29” bilsteins and dropped a coil on the trail due to having higher shock mounts than me or [mention=39493]02_Pathy[/mention], who also run the 29/16 bilsteins.

thanks for setting us straight!!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, PathyDude17 said:

Cool that was my undertaking but couldn't find a definitive answer. Thanks for clearing that up!

I'll be ordering land rover springs and poly bushings next week, then the rear should be good for a while.

• Like 1