Rear brake upgrade on an Australian WD21 Pathy

ije

Hello everyone, 

I am new to this site, but I have done plenty of project work on nissans over the years, most notably restoring an e23 urvan and replacing & upgrading the tired z20 engine with a rebuilt Z24, which involved a lot of open heart surgery & plastic surgery. So I am really an expert on restoring, rebuilding & improving nissan bodies, equipment, components & Z24 engines in Queensland, Australia, rather than in pathfinders per se.

However, I have turned my attention to refurbishing a 1990 pathfinder DX (a basic pathfinder level with a twin spark Z24S, based on the Nissan Navara utilty truck), which I am planning to lightly power up in various ways: I'll post as things progress.

I am hoping that I can tap into your collective knowledge in the coming months & years as the project develops, because my knowledge in the specifics of Pathfinders is limited...And nothing beats experience!

To kick things off - and noting that different countries called the same model different things and there have been a few posts around the web converting things between the various generations of pathys - I was wondering if there was a simple bolt on / exchange to convert the existing rear drums to discs?

Glad to hear any suggestions and figure out conversions if needed - ije. 

• Like 1

My '93 has rear disks, and so did my '95, both SE trim level if that helps. I'm not sure what trim levels were available in Australia or what you're likely to find at the wreckers. Drum to disk threads like this one might give you a better idea of what you're up against, though keep in mind if they're for US models, they might be working with a different axle housing than what you've got--I think all the US V6 models came with the H233B rear end, but the four-bangers C200s. (There's a code on the plate in the engine bay that you can look up to tell you your ratio and what axles you have.) Probably the easiest way to get rid of the drums would be to find a disk brake rear axle with the correct axle ratio (bonus points if you find one with LSD) and swap that in. Make sure you get the parking brake cables while you're at it, I hear those are getting tough to find for the disk brake rear ends.

You may also want to swap your master cylinder over to the disk brake version, sounds like the proportioning valve for the rears is different.

Thanks for that - very helpful. I agree that the job itself is not that hard to do once you get the courage up, but getting the equivalent right parts for the various specs is the tricky bit. So I have a bit more research to do on that. Here's hoping I can pick your brains a bit more over the coming months... I note your point about the master cylinder: as you know, these cars look like a fish, move like a fish, but stop like a cow!

ije. 

• 4 weeks later...

I would almost rather convert over to drum. As of the moment, the parking brake only works on one wheel and not very effectively, because the cable is seized on the drivers side. I have looked for a replacement at the parts stores and have not found one that will work (the mounting assemblies are different) Probably cataloged wrong, but clearly not for my ride. I have a suspicion that if I found one at a junkyard, I would find ones in the same condition as what I already have, which is not good. ?

On 4/30/2019 at 3:18 PM, ije said:

Thanks for that - very helpful. I agree that the job itself is not that hard to do once you get the courage up, but getting the equivalent right parts for the various specs is the tricky bit. So I have a bit more research to do on that. Here's hoping I can pick your brains a bit more over the coming months... I note your point about the master cylinder: as you know, these cars look like a fish, move like a fish, but stop like a cow!

ije. 

Hello, and welcome!

Assuming all the other brake components are in good order and the brakes are properly bled, if your stopping ability is poor, check to make you don't have a vacuum leak, that the vacuum booster is working properly, and that your master cylinder isn't leaking. Otherwise, these should stop as well as any other 2 ton 4x4. ;)

8 hours ago, gamellott said:

I would almost rather convert over to drum. As of the moment, the parking brake only works on one wheel and not very effectively, because the cable is seized on the drivers side. I have looked for a replacement at the parts stores and have not found one that will work (the mounting assemblies are different) Probably cataloged wrong, but clearly not for my ride. I have a suspicion that if I found one at a junkyard, I would find ones in the same condition as what I already have, which is not good. ?

Agreed, and I seem to recall a few people doing so, for the simplicity and parts availability. I've considered the rear disk swap, but have decided against it for exactly the same reason. Properly supported, it would be the ideal set up, but...

B