Power train question

Tylerknapper1994NP

VG30 tells you the engine family (VG) and displacement (3.0). The letter at the end tells you how it gets fuel. VG30I is throttle body injection (80s tech), VG30E is multi-port (what you've got). Some engines have more letters to designate other things. A VG30DETT is a VG30 with dual overhead cams, multi-port, and twin turbos. A VG33ER is a VG33 with multi-port and a supercharger.

Edited by Slartibartfast
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hey everyone. Very good thread here that's been going for a while. I have a question about a '91 Pathy. Have a friend who's selling his. I have not seen it yet but says it has 300k and is a 5 speed. Says the body is in good shape. He is getting the ball joints replaced now. I am a car guy and don't mind working on it a little but with 300k on the drive train. How much more life does the drive train have with that many miles?

Best to make your own thread for unrelated questions.

Condition after 300k will depend mostly on maintenance. The manual transmissions are pretty stout, only common issue is bearing damage if they're not overfilled per the TSB on that (or synchros if filled with the wrong stuff). Engine may be a little tired or dead clapped out, again, depends on how it was treated.. Suspension will probably need work. Check the frame over the rear axle for rot.