Key broke

colinnwn

The Pathy is having a challenging couple of months with things breaking.

Has anyone had their key break where the chain goes through? Were you able to do anything to avoid a key replacement?

I'm thinking of trying to drill a new hole about a quarter inch in.d58c2bfc26ff7921e98e7406c77ef0ae.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Yes it is.

Interesting it cost me $40 for key plus cutting, and no programming, for my wife's Honda.

Do most of the aftermarket keys have a slot to put the immobilizer chip in?

I think I saw a way to program a new immobilizer key without a Nissan Consult. If I remember that right I may see how much a factory blank is.

One of my two keys did that. I tried a new programmable key from Ace harware and it was problematic.  Would intermittently work so I returned it immediately. 

Is it the only one you have? I have the original two keys and relegated the broken one to spare status.

I have 2 OEM keys and on one of them it broke like yours. I just wrapped duct tape around it the key and poked a hole and ran the key ring through it. It doesnt look pretty but it worked for me for the past 6 months

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

My spare had been lost. But I came home and searched harder and did find it. I'll swap them until the spare breaks, and if the Pathy is still healthy then, I'll deal with it.

Small things that you touch everyday bother me when they are cobbled together, and tend to give me 'new' car fever.

Though right now since I want another manual transmission SUV, I've only got a lower mileage R50, Xterra or I think FJ on my options list.

It’s pretty easy to get the chip out. I changed one of my keys over to a flip key. There’s no problem with aftermarket keys, it’s the chip that’s problematic (I have several keys without the chip just for unlocking & turning on accessories). If you can figure out a way to program a new chip reliably I’d love to hear it. You heard@TownDawgR50 & the stealerships here want about $200.

That's crazy. Did you just glue your chip next to the ignition? Or were you able to find a place to stick it to your flip key?

Do you have a link to the flip key? Sounds interesting.

Yeah $200 is ridiculous. I'll have to look around again. I thought it was something like open the door and insert and remove the key 10 times within 10 seconds.

Essentially all the key replacement & fobs have a little spot to put the chip. You don’t glue it, it just goes into a tiny compartment just like the OEM key. Here’s a picture, I bought it probably 8-10 years ago so I don’t think it’s still out there. I almost bought this funky stiletto fob but it was gone 8 years ago for sure. If you look at your OEM key you will see the little door where the chip is stored. 46d37222a4364658dd09f604432bf4ef.jpg

Yeah I found the door for the chip. I didn't know most aftermarket keys had a place for it.

That remote looks almost exactly like an OEM Mazda remote and flip key.

Were you also able to program that remote to the truck? Was it designed specifically for the Nissan remote system or do they have generics that work now?

It was designed as a Nissan fob (the other side has an inset logo). There’s a 4 button version with the hatch glass release but I don’t have that on my ‘02 (‘03&’04 & QX4s do). One of my fobs was stolen & I replaced it with this one for like under $10. It was also specific for Nissan (& also came in a 4 button version). Programming the remote is super simple. There’s a little key turn, button pushing routine that does it. It’s so easy to find I never bothered to save it - just google it. The red is a little silicone jacket that I have on alot of my different keys, etc. They make them in red & other colored plastic casings as well. I’ve become a fan of high visibility on small things & it prevents scratches, doesn’t slide around as much & grips pockets etc - though that can be a plus/minus.

b48abdfb3fa75ae6cea75b09282ffdc7.jpg

Cool. It seems the 2001 remote is different than the 2002-2004. Mine looks like this. When I've looked at them they've been more expensive and fewer options than the 2002-2004 remotes.

But I just found where this design was used on the 2000-2004 Sentras and Maximas too so I may see if there are more options I could try for generic replacements and flip keys. 7f8f4f178fb737e95beed10329354f66.jpg