Modified O2 sensor?

k9sar

Getting the dreaded cat inefficiency code and got to thinking what is really being measured.  I know some people use a spark plug non-fouler but that only would work if the shop doesn't visually inspect the emissions.  Has anyone actually modified the O2 sensor itself to get a 'tweaked' reading?  I've seen videos on adding a resistor in series and a capacitor in parallel but that would be visible too unless it was hidden well.  I was thinking of modifying the tip so not as much exhaust gas gets into the sensor.  Disclaimer... t his is just for a test.  I have ordered new O2 sensors but thought I'd mess around with the old ones to perhaps see what impact I could make on the readings.

enough rambling.... if you've modded your O2 sensor, what did you do to it?  Curious.

Only modifying ive personally done was the antifouler trick (and actually made spacers out of lug nut lock keys for a friends Escalade that was supposed to be a temporary fix 3 years ago...).  Was always OBD2 stuff that didn't require visual emission check though, as long as the (properly working) engine light was off and was in spec for incomplete monitors=sticker time!

• Like 1

After modding my Titan with an intake, JWT cams, long tube headers, Cajun catless b-pipes, uprev tuning and such, I used ported o2 spacers from Big Daddy's Garage. Like @nunyasaid, no inspection station I ever brought it to ever did a visual, as long as the obd2 said it was good, it got a sticker. Results may vary in other states though.

P.s. I do really miss how much fun that truck was, but don't miss that gas bill!!

Edited by 01Pathmaker

took the easy and relatively cheap path and threw a pair of rear O2 sensors in it.  Seemed fine but threw the same 420 code again after a couple of days. Checked with my scanner and it says the one HO2S test failed due to a reading of 0023 with a min of 0033 or something like that.  Unfortunately, the damned thing doesn't tell me which sensor it's reading.  Thinking I need to do some testing where I disconnect 1 sensor at a time to determine which is for which test then do some reading on what the fruck the measurements are really telling me.  No way I'm replacing the cat.