Detroit Locker?

MLML

1 hour ago, MLML said:

Anyone put one in their Pathy?  Looking at maybe doing this one in my 2002 QX4. 

https://www.4x4parts.com/i-18915694-complete-detroit-locker-assembly.html

That wont work on any R50 unless you swap over to a 31 spline setup. All R50 H233B rear axles are setup with 33 spline.  

The 31 spline swap has been done and @hawairish documented the steps and parts needed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TowndawgR50 said:

That wont work on any R50 unless you swap over to a 31 spline setup. All R50 H233B rear axles are setup with 33 spline.  

The 31 spline swap has been done and @hawairish documented the steps and parts needed.

Thanks!  Probably easier to just swap the axle.  

1 minute ago, MLML said:

Thanks!  Probably easier to just swap the axle.  

Not at all. This is the cheapest and most straight forward way to lock up the rear axle of the truck. A whole new axle would be much more expensive and labor intensive with some fabrication required. 

This swap is %100 bolt on. No fab work, grinding, welding etc. Hard part is finding donor axle shafts with everything else being readily available off the shelf OEM hardware

• Like 1

I have a 2002 QX4 with LSD axle.  I may start with a Lokka in the front with manual hubs, then do the rear later.  Any issues you see with the QX4 variant?  

40 minutes ago, MLML said:

I have a 2002 QX4 with LSD axle.  I may start with a Lokka in the front with manual hubs, then do the rear later.  Any issues you see with the QX4 variant?  

You wont be disappointed. Just make sure to get manual hubs at the same time and always use the 2WD option on your All-mode transfer case when street driving. I'm not aware of any variances, should be the same as all LSD equipped R50's

If I had to do it all over again with my truck I would have gone with front and rear springs with a front locker for the first modifications. Those alone will give any R50 the clearance and confident traction to get through almost anything and truly determine what is needed next to get it to your performance goal, if anything. The downside is it will get you in and out of places the truck can now handle with ease but requires sliders and under-body armor to prevent damage from the rough terrain.  I waited to put sliders on and it happened to me. Not that it matters as my rig is mostly used mostly for recreational purposes but you clearly have a really nice QX4 so try to keep it that way!   

• Like 1

Yep!  I put LR springs and Bilsteins on the rear, giving about 2.5" of lift.  I have a 2" spacer on the front now, but next week KYB/OME springs with 1" spacer.  I have skid plates on now and rock sliders are coming next week, along with manual hubs.  Lots to do!  I actually bought that QX4 brand new in 2002 and never drove it very much, so it has pretty low miles on it.  The benefit of a California car, especially where I live and it's almost always 70F, is no rust, leaks etc. It's technically my 16 year old son's truck now, but I'm having fun working on it.  

Edited by MLML
  • Like 1