What part is the hardest to find?

msavides

Just rebuilding a 1994 se.  Have been trying to find some parts.  Some of them are getting really hard to find. 

What part was the most difficult for you to find.?

The parts I have had the hardest time finding are. 

Drivers side parking brake cable. (1994 Rear disc Brakes) ( found it new from France)

Abs Pump ( had to tell the wrecker where to find it)

4WD shifter Boot. ( still looking)  Don't want to pay $120.00 for it. 

Edited by msavides

I know the year range is wrong, but for me is was the TBI Fuel Injectors ('88). A guy as the best (independent) Napa dealer I've ever dealt with was able to find them aftermarket. That was after trying numerous sources... and it was years ago. Those injectors are still in my Pathy!

*though the p-brake cables are likely going to replace the injectors in the rankings lok

yes that is the part I am looking for 

if you have time can you send me a pic of it.  showing any wear or imperfections.  and how much you want for it?

thanks

When I had WhiteOwl, rear parking break cables sucked to find (88 with rear disc).   My Carquest rep eventually found them in Canadia Eh.  Pretty much everything else was available, scavengeable, or i took from ToolShed/my own stash of D21 pieces.   

6 hours ago, RedPath88 said:

I know the year range is wrong, but for me is was the TBI Fuel Injectors ('88). A guy as the best (independent) Napa dealer I've ever dealt with was able to find them aftermarket. That was after trying numerous sources... and it was years ago. Those injectors are still in my Pathy!

*though the p-brake cables are likely going to replace the injectors in the rankings lok

the new parking brake cable ended up costing about $80.

it was 35 euros and 35 euros shipping.  still a pretty good deal for a brand new cable.  

I found the sunroof seal for the rubber trim on Ebay. they want like $80 ish for it.  then  I believe it is recommended to have a glass shop adhere it to the glass  so it sits correctly. 

It is on my list to but have more important things to spend $ on first. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Nissan-Glass-Panel-Spacer-73872-01M05/263726281345?epid=1722113266&hash=item3d674fb281:g:-poAAOSwyHJcd1pD

Edited by msavides

Without being a wisebutt, it will be the 1 part that you really need...

In reality, the soft parts (seals, liners, boots, etc) are getting scarce and generally made anymore. I recall someone using a window seal from a different vehicle that fit very well, let me get back to you on that. I have a 91 with the 4x4 shifter cover, so if Adam's isn't acceptable, hit me up.

Quite frankly, I have no interest in sunroofs or switching to rear disk for the reasons you mentioned. Neat and all, but more trouble than it is worth on these AFAIC. YMMV.

B

Found a WD21 in a local pick n pull that had a sunroof glass with an intact outer seal last Sunday. If it is still there this Sunday, I will probably grab it. I believe they charge only about $25 for it. Then when I find the sunshade that is buried somewhere in my storage unit, I can put it back in. The nuts for the sunshade unglued themselves from my glass about 5 years ago and refused to reattach. So bonus there ?

Willing to keep an eye out for other odd parts if anyone likes, just make a request and I will be on the lookout. 

Edited by Mr_Reverse

I believe you can use the adhesive That they use to glue the rear view mirror wedged on glass. they sell it at any auto parts store. 

I had to buy the little piece that the sunshade rests on. (it actually screws on) Was able to find one from a Nissan dealer for 7 bucks

On 4/3/2019 at 6:31 PM, Precise1 said:

In reality, the soft parts (seals, liners, boots, etc) are getting scarce and generally made anymore. I recall someone using a window seal from a different vehicle that fit very well, let me get back to you on that. I have a 91 with the 4x4 shifter cover, so if Adam's isn't acceptable, hit me up.

Quite frankly, I have no interest in sunroofs or switching to rear disk for the reasons you mentioned. Neat and all, but more trouble than it is worth on these AFAIC. YMMV.

B

I coming to that realization that the part I need will be hard to find.  I want to keep my Pathfinder for as long as I can So I posed this question to give me insight to what parts are the hardest to come by. so I can keep an eye out for them, Knowing that I will probably eventually need them . 

I am also thinking of creating another Thread with Requesting substitutions that people have used instead of overpriced or rare parts.  I bought a rubber boot for a jeep that I used for the the 4x4 shifter ( the one that goes under the leather boot)  It fit pretty good after I glued the metal trim onto the boot. I bolted in on just like the original one. 

If you get a chance post up a pic of the boot. I have not heard back from Adam. He is probably busy. 

If something does not come up I am probably going to pick up some scrap leather and sew one up myself. The one I have is in pretty bad shape, But I have managed to rip the seams and get it to the point where I can us it at a pattern. The local leather shop has scrap leather for $5 a pound that I can pick through to find pieces that are the right size and shape.

Edited by msavides

On 4/3/2019 at 9:31 PM, Precise1 said:

In reality, the soft parts (seals, liners, boots, etc) are getting scarce and generally made anymore. I recall someone using a window seal from a different vehicle that fit very well, let me get back to you on that. 

B

:chairfall:but true

I replaced mine with one from Frontier or an Xterra if I remember right when mine was dryrotted

I went to the leather shop and bought some scrap finished leather. 

Grand Total $6.99

I ripped the seams on the old boot and made a template and cut all the pieces out of the new leather (I used about half the leather I bought) 

I dug out the sewing machine.  I had some issues with it since it had not been used in years. (time to have it serviced I guess)

I ended up having to sew most of it by hand.  I am not that great at hand sewing, but I figured that even with some messed up stitches it has to look better than the ripped up one that was on there.

Here is the almost finished project. Just have to get some new snaps and put them on the boot and insert the metal rod and sew it up

Not too bad. I may redo my stitches once I get the sewing machine serviced. The stitches I made with the sewing machine are prefect. 

xRyVAJw.jpg

5kgLTsa.jpg

Edited by msavides
  • Like 4

Material wise is was really cheap.  If I factor in my hourly wage for the time I spent on it. Then I paid way too much for it. But If I bought the factory one at $120 I still would have got fake leather. 

I am debating on whether to make another one with my left over leather once I get the sewing machine fixed. 

• 2 weeks later...

New part needed.

Air conditioning line that runs from the expansion valve to the receiver/dryer. 

mine has a hole in it right at the bend before it goes into the receiver dryer.

edit-

went to a local Auto repair shop and had them make me a custom line.  $59

I think I am better off with the rubber line, these aluminum lines are really fragile at this age.  mine had a bit of erosion/corrosion on them in spots as well. 

Edited by msavides

• 3 weeks later...

Of all the pathfinders in the scrapyard I’ve looted, I always found a lower Valience not completely corroded to be the elusive of all, I’ve noticed the quantity of Pathys in the pick-n-pull has declined by quite a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Something else to add to my list of parts I need to find. I have discovered that the rear link bushings are among the parts that nobody has. I replaced all 8 about 15 years ago, but they are bad again. I just might have to build replacement links since it seems that when I do find bushings that might fit, they are running $25-30 each. Right now, not cost effective for me. 

I am finding new rubber trim to go around the windows and sunroof glass a bit of a challenge to track down. Mine has rotted and shrunk over the last 26 years. 

I need new windshield rubber as well. I’d be willing to forgo using the metal trim and just replace it with a large rubber seal if it’s available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

On 5/9/2019 at 1:42 AM, Bubbles said:

I need new windshield rubber as well. I’d be willing to forgo using the metal trim and just replace it with a large rubber seal if it’s available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

We just had a new windshield put in about a month ago. they replaced the rubber seal with a new one. probably not stock nissan but there is hope for a replacement option for you. It looks good and I was surprised that they had the windshield and seal in stock after just calling them a day in advance.

• 3 months later...

My 91 had started making a roaring noise in 1st,2nd and 5th gear,so I took it to a transmission shop to get it checked. I was told the tranny was in VERY BAD shape ,and that they wouldn't rebuild a manual trans older than 10 years. Five transmission shops refused to rebuild it. At the time I worked at a national auto parts store,so I looked up a rebuilt one. Price was $2400 , BUT, supplier did not have one in stock.  In fact,I tried every place that was suggested to me in the U.S. and got the same answer. Nobody had one,and I had just about given up. About 9 months later I rode with a friend to a repair shop that specialized in foreign autos that just happened to be about 5 miles from my house. I had totally forgotten about this place because its kinda way off the beaten track. I saw a wrecked Pathfinder in the salvage yard and casually mentioned to the shop owner the trouble I was having finding a 5 speed manual for a 4x4. He stopped what he was doing,walked over to a corner and looked at several transmissions sitting there and says," YUP! I thought I still had this one! Its yours for $400,and I'll install it for $550 more." Just got it back from him a few weeks ago and she runs perfectly now.

So , for me , the hardest thing to find was a 5 speed manual for a 4x4.

By the way,this guy has several Pathfinders and D21 pickups of various year model on his yard and said he has access to several more that a friend has so if you are having trouble finding something,hit me up and I can check with him. I've already purchased several other items from him and am going to get several others in the near future.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

keep in mind that the oil fill port is too low on these transmissions. filling just to the fill port is not enough and eventually will cause the symptoms you had with your last transmission..

the output shaft does not get properly lubricated with it filled too low.