Since i already have this dissassembled, i should probably replace that while i'm at it...

awyisss

Hey everyone,

I have my front suspension, for the most part, disassembled as I have been replacing much of the components (upper/low BJs, Inner/outer TREs, strut rod bushings, front shocks, sway bar end links, sway bar frame bushings) that were original parts from 1990. Before i took apart the front I had put in JGC coils in the rear and cranked the T-bars so it wouldn't be so raked in the back.

I have ordered a grassroots centerlink that will be arriving some time next week at which i had planned on installing and buttoning up everything so i can have the truck back on the road for the upcoming trout fishin/camping season. Howevever, I recently had some family things come up and I wont have time to work on the truck for the next couple of weeks. That said, i'd like to order in the rest of the things that i had planned on replacing "next time i rebuild the front end" and doing that work this time around and being done with the front end. 

The parts i am planning to order are SL upper control arms, idler arm brace, low profile bump stops, and energy suspensions UCA + LCA bushings. I had some questions about these parts that i'm hoping you guys may be able to provide some input on before I continue with ordering from 4x4parts.

For the SL upper control arms, 4x4parts mentions in their description that these require larger aftermarket wheels. My future plans with the truck were to put 33x10.5s on the lego wheels after doing a 3" body lift at some point. Will this upper control arm let me continue to use my lego wheels? I personally love the look of those legos...

For the low profile bump stops, I noticed these are sold in pairs. Is the pair for one side of the car? ie. replaces the bump stops  attached to the bottom side of the UCA as well as the bump stop on the frame? Or is the pair intended to be one per side of the car, replacing the just bump stop attached to the frame on the driver and passenger side?

Lastly, for the energy suspension bushings, should i replace the UCA bushings that come with the SL control arms with these? (if i decide to go with those arms) Also, what is the best procedure for removing the LCA so I can replace that bushing? My concern is that I will need to relieve tension or perhaps remove the T-bars to do this, which i have not done before so just want to make sure i'm doing this safely.

I am open to any suggestions you guys may have on my plans. Thanks in advance to anyone with input.

I haven't lifted mine, so I haven't been through most of this, but I haven't heard of anyone having to change wheel sizes to clear aftermarket UCAs. I'd leave the bushings in the new UCAs alone unless they're used/worn out. And yeah, you'll have to back off the torsion bar adjusters to get the LCAs out. Expect to do a little screwing around to get the ride height back where you want it when you put it all back together. A friend and I saved some time when we did the LCAs on his Chevy by spraying a little paint at each torsion bar adjuster (different color on each side), so that all we had to do to readjust it was line up the paint marks. The Nissan adjuster isn't built quite the same as the Chevy, but I think the same trick would work.

You don’t need new wheels, I don’t know why they say that. Use the bushings that come with the super lift arms, they’re polyurethane just like the energy ones. Mine have lasted a while. The bump stops are just the uppers. I left the stock lowers alone.

The LCA bushings are a huge pain in the arse and I’d only change them if there is play. I’ve never had them loose on my rig but have done them on a friends pathfinder.

As Adam said above you do not need to change stock wheel size for Superlift/Rough Country upper control arms. I've been running them for years with 15 inch rims. Also, I used the bushings that came with them and I've had no issues at all :aok:

One more thing... they are listed on the site for $300!!! I don't know if Superlift has jacked the price, or if that's just mark up. But I would seriously recommend that you call Superlift directly and order upper control arms for a Nissan Hardbody (do not say Pathfinder.) Unless they themselves have raised the price or simply do not sell the public directly anymore, you should be able to get them for a much better figure. ;) Just make sure the bushings are included.

If you're not picky about the color or finish, I would also recommend that you call Rough Country directly and try and do the same, just purchase the upper control arms for a Hardbody in place of the whole "lift kit". Again do not mention Pathfinder when talking to them. Rough Country D21(WD21) UCA are not only made by superlift but they're the same arms simply with a different finish.

In the past both Superlift and Rough Country sold directly to consumers and were perfectly willing to sell just the upper control arms. Although they are not spec'ed for Pathfinders they would sell them to you if you said you were putting them on a Hardbody. Over the years a few members here reported when they mentioned Pathfinder, that ended the option of buying them, they would no longer sell them. So just don't risk it. WD21 Pathfinders suspension is exactly the same as the 4x4 D21 Hardbody's.

Thanks for your input guys, I think i'll be ordering just the UCAs, and the low pro bump stops. I'll do the bushings in the LCA in the future if i decide to put SAW TB's in or when they are toast, whichever comes first. They seem fine at the moment.

RP88, I called SL and they unfortunately don't sell the kits or parts anymore, guy i talked to said they have been discontinued for about 2 years now. I spoke with two different people at Rough Country; first guy told me that they won't sell the arms outside of the kit ($360 for the kit), the second guy i spoke with said they would remove the arms from a kit for $330. Looks like i may have to bite this $300 bullet, unless you have other suggestions. I appreciate the heads up on the price, i'd have no clue otherwise.