ATF or 75-90 for transfer case?

MTGunner

Have read the maintenance manual for 2000 Pathfinder 4x4 for changing transfer case fluid. One says OK to use correct ATF and another states 75-90 gear oil. Which does anyone suggest? This Pathfinder will be for back roads and mild off roading. Going about mild build for daily driver and hunting fig. MTG

My 2001 owners manual says for all-mode 4wd that only ATF is ok.

If it is manual shift transfer case ATF or API GL-4 is ok and to refer to the gear oil chart for viscosity recommendation. The chart has a range of options for temperate climates, but for the range of temps we see in the US, 75-90 and 80-90 would make the most sense.

When I get around to replacing mine in a manual transfer case, I'm going with ATF I think.

For my manual transmission, and LSD differential, I'll use 75-90.

More than likely ATF. I think the gear oil recommendation was for manual trans trucks in case of cross-contamination, not that I've ever heard of one of these doing that. If in doubt, pull the fill plug and see what's in it now.

That's for the TX10A manual transfer case (stick through the floor). If you've got the ATX14A all-mode transfer case (heater-knob looking 4x4 selector on the dash with an "auto" mode), that's ATF only.

Mine is the manual, stick through the floor.  Automatic transmission on my 2000 SE model. Guess I am being too specific when I ask either ATF or 75-90 GL-4.  MTG

Edited by MTGunner

See what's in there right now.  My '02 manny has GL4 in the trans and had ATF in the case, so that's what I switched it with.  Meanwhile my '87 had GL4 in both, so you can guess what I did there. I'm betting since yours is an auto it has ATF in the case.

OK, dumped my t/c to find brown/red ATF. Glad that I did so as probably has not been done since leaving factory. Replaced with Castrol high mileage ATF formulated for Nissan Matic “D” transmissions and t/c. Thanx all for the input. MTG

Edited by MTGunner
  • Like 1