Adding a tow package...

Nay-Sayer

With my QX4 I added a Curt tubular Class IV hitch and a wire harness that plugs into the taillights from e-trailer.  If you have access, you could go to a junkyard and find an OEM setup cheaply.

14 hours ago, deltaR50 said:

jy is the way to go. 

I snagged one for cheap this way. They're held onto the R50 via (8) big bolts, (4) on each side of the receiver fixture. The driver's side requires you to remove what I think is the evap canister(?) in order to get to the upper bolts, but it isn't hard.

I assume all R50's come with threaded bolt holes, I saw mine has the holes, but I haven't confirmed their pre-threaded. Can anyone confirm that?

The holes on mine were prethreaded.

I did remove a hitch from a junkyard Pathy with the evap canister in place, but it would have certainly been easier if it had been removed.  I think it's only three 10 mm bolts.

look for an oem hitch. I believe they are rated class 5 (you can't tow 12k lbs) as they have 12 bolts rather than 8 like the aftermarket options. the oem harness is clipped in in the rear driverside corner. There is a rubber plug on the underside that wires go through to plug inside.

Also, you may want to clean out the threads with something prior to attempting to install bolts. I purchased my pathfinder from Barrington and had crud on threads.

Edited by Astrorami

I don’t have any experience with the JY/oem route, but if you’re looking to buy new I recommend ordering from etrailer.com. That’s where I got my hitch receiver and wire harness. About $180 will get both the hitch and a plug and play harness. The only other thing you might consider is an aftermarket transmission cooler, but I wouldn’t say that’s mandatory. A good plate and fin cooler can be had for around $50. 

• Like 2

I would definitely recommend JY OEM. The OEM is particularly robust with the part pictured below & two lateral arms reaching quite a bit forward on the frame/unibody. Holes should be prethreaded & I was able to put mine off & on without moving anything else. I recently took mine off after 15 years, with countless bangs & it came off & went back on with ease (I did use anti-Seize this time but didn’t when I initially put it on)5090f65be3a12ec81cf421034b331a4d.jpg

• Like 3

Just for comparison, here’s my aftermarket hitch. I’ve used it a ton and have 0 concerns or complaints. I do like the way the oem unit has a step built in!
30596d07fbe9468782bc60b57cd7c2c3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

everytime i go to my local jy. theres always tow hitches available. lol

i would snag and sell them here if theres any interest. 

As long as you pay shipping

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk