Wd21 spitting and sputtering.

Hey guys. I have a 1994 Wd21, the truck spits and sputters and slows down for a few seconds maybe 30 seconds at max and then is fine. Only does it at low speeds and sometimes does it between second and third. It's weird. Sometimes it may surge but I can have my foot to the floor and nothing. Think this may be a fuel pump. The filter has been replaced and I put seafoam in it and it usually doesn't do it for a while. When it does do it, happens here and there. But been happening a lot more frequently.

Have you checked the ECU for codes?

Check to make sure the TPS is responding right (be sure to jiggle the wiring harness/connector, when it is running, of course)

This might sound crazy, but I had a '95 manual that started to stumble/bog when shifting 1-2 and then 2-3 also. It would pick right back up and run fine again. Check the dizzy cap... mine had completely burned out the center contact and 1/2 the spring, so the spark was just arcing from the top of the cap down to the rotor. Had to prove it to the Autozone boys... showed them the inside of the cap, snapped it on, fired it up and hauled ass around the building for them. They basically crapped themselves...

Anyway, check the cap, it takes 1 minute.

17 hours ago, Precise1 said:

Have you checked the ECU for codes?

Check to make sure the TPS is responding right (be sure to jiggle the wiring harness/connector, when it is running, of course)

This might sound crazy, but I had a '95 manual that started to stumble/bog when shifting 1-2 and then 2-3 also. It would pick right back up and run fine again. Check the dizzy cap... mine had completely burned out the center contact and 1/2 the spring, so the spark was just arcing from the top of the cap down to the rotor. Had to prove it to the Autozone boys... showed them the inside of the cap, snapped it on, fired it up and hauled ass around the building for them. They basically crapped themselves...

Anyway, check the cap, it takes 1 minute.

Okay, I went down to my autozone and one of the guys is a retired mechanic, he said check if some of my EGR was gummed. I forgot what the part is called but it sits on the very back of the intake upside down. But I will check that when I get back. The transmission I had rebuilt was making a grinding sound like the throw out bearing was bad and hard to shift into gears sometimes so i was told the synchronizers weren't matching. But I will try that when I get back from vacation.

So many things to check. See if there is any codes, check the fuel pressure and pull the distributor cap and check for wear and damage. Might go a step beyond and remove the rotor then the dust plates and look for traces of rust or metal dust. The distributor bearings are a known problem and will cause drivability problems when they wear.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...