Turning off R50 security alarm

Jax99

Hey there! My alarm is ridiculously sensitive and it goes off in my complex multiple times a week and multiple times a night. The Christ like residents are becoming upset and are sure to retaliate soon as I have already drawn complaints

Does anyone know a loop around to disable the alarm?

I hear if i lock the car and use my key to unlock the trunk then it disables the alarm since the car is unlocked. Not sure why it’s so sensitive but I’m looking for a quick fix to pull a relay or leave something unlocked to avoid the alarm. I am not worried about theft in my area but still do not want all my doors left open

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What do you mean sensitive? My 2001 factory alarm has never gone off unless I hit the panic button. I don't think they have a motion sensor. I wonder if you have an intermittent door ajar switch.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I bet it's the same issue that myself and another member have had with our alarm system.  It's probably a bad connection with a door jamb switch.  Search my post history for an overly-detailed explanation.  For me I tracked it down to the switch for the front passenger door and disconnected it. I've had zero problems since.

Edit: Here is the link to my post

Edited by jjonez
  • Like 1

Maybe your Pathfinder is equipped with an aftermarket alarm? Does it just beep the horn or does it also make a siren sound?

Nothing aftermarket. When I drive I occasionally see the interior lights go on and off as if the door was being opened but i just turned those off. Literally the wind can shake the car slightly and the alarm goes off

I bet it's the same issue that myself and another member have had with our alarm system.  It's probably a bad connection with a door jamb switch.  Search my post history for an overly-detailed explanation.  For me I tracked it down to the switch for the front passenger door and disconnected it. I've had zero problems since.

Edit: Here is the link to my post

Sounds like the exact same issue that i have!

So to get this straight just for the night....
1. Unlock my car and before i leave my car i lock all doors with the manual key
2. I use my remote key to unlock just the driver door.
3. Use my manual key to lock the driver door

This should fix the alarm issue and have all doors locked?

Issue is just like yours where it only happens at night due to change of temp

As jjonez mentioned, it's likely one of the front door switches. Set the dome light to "DOOR" and close the doors. Gently push and pull the lower rear corner of each front door away from the jamb to see which door triggers the light. If the light goes on and off, then the button on the door switch isn't pressing deep enough to prevent it from connecting intermittently. You can remove the door switch from the body, being careful not to let the wiring harness fall into the body, then remove the rubber covering over the switch. Insert something like a pencil eraser into the bellows so that it rests between the button and the inside of the bellows. This will effectively lengthen the switch, causing it to depress more when the door is closed. Reinstall rubber covering onto switch, then reinstall switch in door jamb.

Edited by XPLORx4
  • Like 2

I did something similar to what xplorx4 did with a little piece of inner tube. If the R50 switch is like the WD21 switch, you can also take them apart and clean out the corrosion and schmoo that might be causing problems.

IIRC the R50 alarm system has its own horn, on the passenger's side of the engine bay. If you unplugged that, and the siren (assuming it has a siren too), all the alarm could do is flash the lights.

Edited by Slartibartfast
  • Like 1

As jjonez mentioned, it's likely one of the front door switches. Set the dome light to "DOOR" and close the doors. Gently push and pull the lower rear corner of each front door away from the jamb to see which door triggers the light. If the light goes on and off, then the button on the door switch isn't pressing deep enough to prevent it from connecting intermittently. You can remove the door switch from the body, being careful not to let the wiring harness fall into the body, then remove the rubber covering over the switch. Insert something like a pencil eraser into the bellows so that it rests between the button and the inside of the bellows. This will effectively lengthen the switch, causing it to depress more when the door is closed. Reinstall rubber covering onto switch, then reinstall switch in door jamb.

Which door switch? The electric lock, the handle? The actual locking mechanism on body of the door?

Open the driver's door and look at the lower corner of the door jamb on the body. You'll see a little rubber plunger. That's the door switch. When you push it in, it simulates the door being closed. The issue could be that the switch is not being depressed enough because of the door not being as snug to the body as it was when new.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, XPLORx4 said:

Open the driver's door and look at the lower corner of the door jamb on the body. You'll see a little rubber plunger. That's the door switch. When you push it in, it simulates the door being closed. The issue could be that the switch is not being depressed enough because of the door not being as snug to the body as it was when new.

Yes, check the switch on the door jams.  Also, does the alarm cut off after 30 or so seconds?

• Like 1

Yes, check the switch on the door jams.  Also, does the alarm cut off after 30 or so seconds?

It goes on for like 30 seconds but repeats again

So checked all the doors. It seems when the red light turns solid then it activates the security system but if it doesn’t then it’s not activated.... to my understanding. And from reading jj ‘s post. If i lock the car and unlock the driver door and then relock it manually from the inside then that red security light never turns solid and in this case i should be okay?

I thought it was the horn behind the battery?

I’ve done some trigger tests and it seems that the “lock hack” that jj did for 8 months works well. Never triggers when i test it but we’ll see in time

18 hours ago, Jax99 said:

I’ve done some trigger tests and it seems that the “lock hack” that jj did for 8 months works well. Never triggers when i test it but we’ll see in time

Haha oh yeah I forgot about that part. Yea that worked just fine for preventing the security system from arming. Another way to tell if it's armed is if the turn signals flash twice when you hit lock on the key fob. If they don't it's because the system thinks a door is open.

If you're willing to spend more time poking around, I bet you could narrow it down to the specific switch that's causing the problem.  Then you could disconnect/replace/try xplors fix and not deal with the "hack" and have the security system working.  It's nice being able to use the key fob as it was intended

• Like 1

I wasn't having this problem with my alarm. But when I opened the driver's side rear door, the interior lights would flicker, and occasionally they'd stay on, and sometimes they wouldn't with the door open. I replaced the door switch and it fixed it. I think I found the door switch on Amazon for $18 delivered. It was an aftermarket switch from SMP (Standard Motor Products). I've found it advertised as low as $12 other places, but S+H made it more expensive.

My rear door hatch does this sometimes too, despite how hard I slam it. And going down rough roads, sometimes the interior light will flash on. The switch is internal to the latch and isn't independently replaceable. I think it is $200 new from Nissan USA. I found a website where you can order it from Japan for $110.

• Like 1