Second thoughts?

So I have a 95 wd21 I had a transmission rebuilt in it costing 2200. But now the timing belt is coming up and that's look at a 1k alone and I'm not sure if I want to dip my toes into this anymore. Also front end is junk and needs to be replaced, might do an SAS swap if I keep it. Should I just run until the motor goes and put a td27 or vg33e in it? Any thoughts first year in college will be done in may of next year.

Edited by jonathanpalmer12
Adding

How handy are you?  Timing belt isn't a particularly challenging job, just takes some time.  If you do it yourslef you could save a ton of money.  Motor swap would be cool, but heaps more expensive, so keep that in mind if the money is concerning you.  Same deal with the SAS, if you have to pay somebody else to do it it'll probably cost quite a bit to get it done well.

• Like 2

Assuming the year in your profile is correct and it's still the factory engine, then the interval for a '94 is 100,000 miles... Technically 105,000 miles (per the '94 FSM), for the timing belt.

As long as you're somewhat mechanically inclined, it's a pretty easy job especially with @5523Pathfinder's How To in The Garage :aok:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Mid '93 they switched from square-tooth to round-tooth belt/sprockets, and increased the interval from 60k to 100k.

It's been a while but I'm pretty sure 5523's writeup was what I used on my '93, plus the service manual for torque specs.

• Like 1