Overdrive turning on/off by itself

03TroutFinder

Sorry if this has been addressed already, but couldn't find in my search.

On my way home this afternoon, I had to stop quickly and my drink spilled over and pretty much the entire drink spilled over onto the shift area.

About 40 minutes or so later, the truck started shifting funny. I noticed that the Overdrive light was coming on/off and that was the cause of the intermittent shift/rpm fluctuations.

Is there a sensor and/or connection for the overdrive under the center console I need to clean/dry?

Has anyone else experienced something similar?

The truck did not act as if the tranny was going bad. Still shifted smoothly, just everytime the o/d light came on it would downshift, when it went off, it shifted back to the next gear.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I recently messed around with my OD since I had removed my shifter. 

Two screws to remove the shifter, then just pull up and it'll disengage and pop off. Your shifter thumb button is spring loaded and might pop apart, but it's easy to put back together.

At the base of the shifter there's a plastic plug that is supposed to disengage from the shifter. There are two wires that go up to the OD button. On mine those just broke off and killed my OD.

To "fix" it, I jammed some wire in the holes, enough to bridge the connection between the now gone pins and it works.

Your issue could be unrelated to your braking event. If you pulled apart your shifter and took a look you might see that those wires leading to the OD button are loose or messed up.