Two fuel tanks.

1 hour ago, RustFlames said:

The tire carrier is overengineered you could perhaps mount a steel jerry can on I and somehow plumb it in the main tank? 

Yeah I was thinking of that, maybe just run 2 cans and just fill it up, that would give me room for 150 miles or so. Mine currently doesn't have it but I have all the parts to fit it. 

I’ve been thinking on this a while. I may have a solution. My dead R50 has the fuel thank on the left, my wd22 has it on the right. I’ve got to figure out some brackets and plumbing....one of my many summer projects.

57 minutes ago, bushnut said:

I’ve been thinking on this a while. I may have a solution. My dead R50 has the fuel thank on the left, my wd22 has it on the right. I’ve got to figure out some brackets and plumbing....one of my many summer projects.

Let me know how it works out, I cant imagine mounting on it wouldn't be bad, you could look into how 7.3l f350 the older ones with 2 tanks get fuel, they have one fuel pump and suck it between both.

I'm don't know how Ford did the diesel system, but I worked on one of their twin-tank gassers ('87 F150, 300-6) and theirs is not a fuel system I'd recommend. The parts are expensive, the fuel switching res is problematic, and when it has trouble it either blocks the system entirely or routes the fuel return to the wrong tank and overfills it. Ours was fouled due to bad gas (parked for a while), though the number of threads about problems with them on the Ford forums suggested that they fail perfectly well on their own. It also uses Ford's stupid quick connects and plastic lines, so adapting to anything else may be more difficult than it has a right to be. I think the '90s models changed a bit (two pumps instead of three) and the res may have improved, though you'd still have the dumb connectors to deal with. I've also seen an aftermarket electronic replacement for the switching res, but I don't remember those being cheap, either.

Our IH Scout plow rig has twin tanks, but it's got a non-return carby system (no in-tank pumps and no return line), so it just has a small hard line going between the two tanks to equalize them. That only works if the tanks are at the same level, though.

I saw a video of some guy (I think he was attempting the cannonball run) with an aux fuel cell, and an impressive bodge to make it work with the stock tank. He ran a line from the aux tank's pump to the main tank's filler neck. To control the pump, he used a defroster switch with a built-in timer. When the fuel level in the main tank dropped below a certain mark, he pressed the defrost switch, which powered the fuel pump for a set period of time, moving the right amount of fuel to top off the main tank. Red Green should be proud!

12 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

We really havent had an issue with the newer one we have it's a 1997, and I know who you're talking about. Its Ed Bolivian who did the cannaball run with a Mercedes. I was looking for something underneath the car because it doesnt have much room.

Edited by jonathanpalmer12
Messed up on the post.