Stock Suspension Height

So I figured there’s probably already a thread on this, but I can’t find it. I’d just like to know the height of a stock R50 suspension. I’m replacing my shot stock setup, and while I’m at it, I want to get just a little more height out of it. Not exactly a lift kit with spacers, but just larger shocks and struts in general. Only looking for about an inch or two higher than stock. I don’t want to make it look obvious that it’s lifted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

no such thing. only way to lift an r50 is springs or spacers. sfcreation.com sells a great set of hdpe spacers for like 100 bucks that a lot of guys on here use. theyre made by forum member steve fluerys

• Like 2

go with kyb excel shocks and struts. great all around parts. use the spacers if your wanting economical and dont do a ton of extreme offroading. if you need something beefier...theres a couple different spring options available

• Like 1

no such thing. only way to lift an r50 is springs or spacers. sfcreation.com sells a great set of hdpe spacers for like 100 bucks that a lot of guys on here use. theyre made by forum member steve fluerys

Thanks! Steve is great, I’ll probably do that.

go with kyb excel shocks and struts. great all around parts. use the spacers if your wanting economical and dont do a ton of extreme offroading. if you need something beefier...theres a couple different spring options available

Alright. I’m not planning on hardcore offroading in the Pathy. It’s mainly for overlanding. I think I’m gonna go with Steve Fleurys spacers.

3 minutes ago, joshualaw205 said:

Alright. I’m not planning on hardcore offroading in the Pathy. It’s mainly for overlanding. I think I’m gonna go with Steve Fleurys spacers.

i would man. its a solid product

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, joshualaw205 said:

You could also go for OME MD (mid duty) suspension with their coil springs. That would provide better handling and lift .5-1.5”. It would also help with carrying extra weight

Edited by PathyDude17
  • Like 1

My tan rig is totally stock if you want I can take some measurements tomorrow of fender height and whatnot

That would be great. My Pathy is almost completely stock (standard Michelin Defender tires, stock fenders, original springs, etc.), so your measurements should correspond with my setup quite well.

KYB struts for the front. Rear use something other than KYB as they're too short if you're lifting it - you won't get good travel as you will be limiting the downtravel severely. I'm running 11" travel Procomp rear shocks with no RSB and the flex is ungodly.

To be fair, I’m not sure there is “stock” out there anymore unless someone replaces with new OEM gear (which would be silly). I know my “stock” setup is definitely lower than when I bought it due to saggy old springs.

9 hours ago, KiwiTerrano said:

KYB struts for the front. Rear use something other than KYB as they're too short if you're lifting it - you won't get good travel as you will be limiting the downtravel severely. I'm running 11" travel Procomp rear shocks with no RSB and the flex is ungodly.

with only a two inch lift this shouldnt be an issue. if he wanted the longer shocks though you could go with bilstein or procomp. could always run some f250 shocks also...just have to swap the bushings

7 hours ago, Sjackson2 said:

with only a two inch lift this shouldnt be an issue. if he wanted the longer shocks though you could go with bilstein or procomp. could always run some f250 shocks also...just have to swap the bushings

A 2" spring lift, when used with standard shocks, will reduce your downtravel by 2". This may not sound like much, but when you consider the standard shocks have only 8" of travel, and are usually setup for 4" uptravel & 4" downtravel, you are essentially reducing your downtravel to 2"...

Therefore, if you want to actually use the vehicle offroad, I dare say it would be an issue. Fitting longer shocks absolutely transformed the capability of my vehicle offroad, as did removing the RSB. Maximising wheel travel is critical when one does not have lockers or traction control.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KiwiTerrano said:

A 2" spring lift, when used with standard shocks, will reduce your downtravel by 2". This may not sound like much, but when you consider the standard shocks have only 8" of travel, and are usually setup for 4" uptravel & 4" downtravel, you are essentially reducing your downtravel to 2"...

Therefore, if you want to actually use the vehicle offroad, I dare say it would be an issue. Fitting longer shocks absolutely transformed the capability of my vehicle offroad, as did removing the RSB. Maximising wheel travel is critical when one does not have lockers or traction control.

you are absolutely correct. I am currently dealing with a harsh top out from only 2" of extension. I am now looking for appropriate length shocks.

Edited by Astrorami

5 hours ago, PathyDude17 said:

Is 29” too long of an extended length for 2-3” of lift in the rear? Stock being 24”

Yes. I'm running Ironman 35 mm lift springs which are 400 mm in length (rear). I have procomp ES326500 shocks which are 15.94" compressed and 27.07" extended for travel of 11.13"

This is basically the longest shock you can run for several reasons. Firstly, the compressed length is barely short enough for the bumpstops to work properly & avoid ruining the shocks at full compression. Secondly, if the extended length were any longer the springs would drop out. I did some trigonometry to calculate the max shock length before purchasing.

For a 400 mm long rear spring, maximum length from the centre of the bolts on either end of the shock is 27". Otherwise you will have problems with spring retention, and the compressed length of the shock cannot be greater than 405 mm or so (16"). Preferably <400 or <15.9". I am pushing the limits on both compression and extension with these shocks, but the results are worth it.

If people are running a front subframe drop and are prepared to extend the rear bumpstops to allow for a shock with a longer compressed length then of course you can run a 29" extended shock. I have built my truck to flex as well as possible with minimal lift.

I have attached a list of various rear shock options, OEM replacement and various aftermarket.

Shocks.xlsx

Edited by KiwiTerrano
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, KiwiTerrano said:

Yes. I'm running Ironman 35 mm lift springs which are 400 mm in length (rear). I have procomp ES326500 shocks which are 15.94" compressed and 27.07" extended for travel of 11.13"

This is basically the longest shock you can run for several reasons. Firstly, the compressed length is barely short enough for the bumpstops to work properly & avoid ruining the shocks at full compression. Secondly, if the extended length were any longer the springs would drop out. I did some trigonometry to calculate the max shock length before purchasing.

For a 400 mm long rear spring, maximum length from the centre of the bolts on either end of the shock is 27". Otherwise you will have problems with spring retention, and the compressed length of the shock cannot be greater than 405 mm or so (16"). Preferably <400 or <15.9". I am pushing the limits on both compression and extension with these shocks, but the results are worth it.

If people are running a front subframe drop and are prepared to extend the rear bumpstops to allow for a shock with a longer compressed length then of course you can run a 29" extended shock. I have built my truck to flex as well as possible with minimal lift.

I have attached a list of various rear shock options, OEM replacement and various aftermarket.

Shocks.xlsx 10.82 kB · 1 download

Ya I would extend rear bump stops on mine, and my spring would be double the height of yours in terms of lift. I’m looking at 3” spring lift

5 hours ago, PathyDude17 said:

Ya I would extend rear bump stops on mine, and my spring would be double the height of yours in terms of lift. I’m looking at 3” spring lift

That all sounds fine, so long as the springs are long enough to remain captive at full droop. 

10 minutes ago, KiwiTerrano said:

That all sounds fine, so long as the springs are long enough to remain captive at full droop. 

And it’s also worth noting that the shocks don’t go straight up and down, so the higher up you go, the more your shocks can be extended beyond the height given by the lift

Edited by PathyDude17
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, PathyDude17 said:

And it’s also worth noting that the shocks don’t go straight up and down, so the higher up you go, the more your shocks can be extended beyond the height given by the lift

Yes, on my prefacelift r50 the shocks make the hypotenuse of a right angled triangle, which allowed me to use trigonometry to calculate the maximum shock length for my springs. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, KiwiTerrano said:

Yes, on my prefacelift r50 the shocks make the hypotenuse of a right angled triangle, which allowed me to use trigonometry to calculate the maximum shock length for my springs. 

Exactly. 

• 3 months later...
On 3/12/2019 at 9:40 AM, Sjackson2 said:

How do u swap out the bushings :(

• Like 1