PathyDude's R50 Projects (03 SE 4x4)

YhaDV8N.jpg

7fGU6k5.jpg

I added the pre-facelift bar that attaches to the front diff and front unibody. Im

hoping it keeps dirt out of my front end, I’ll probably bolt on some steel to add more coverage (and if I’m lucky it will help me push through snow?). I also now have two CV axles from the local JY, although the one on the right is not OEM. Oh well. I was thinking about rebooting but honestly the boots seem  to be in good shape.

• 2 weeks later...

tQbdxAg.jpg

jXwMkQj.jpg

just barely used the sliders today, and found this difficult obstacle, which highlighted my need for a locker. With how the trail approaches this 2-3 foot step at a 90* angle, I couldn’t keep all of either my rear or front end perfectly in traction. I feel like a front locker would’ve pulled me right over. I’ll have the money here to swing one soon, but I’m worried about install-I don’t think I can do it myself

Edited by PathyDude17
  • Like 3

Swapped in used JY CV axles, so no more torn boots and now I have trail spares. Added a 3 gallon rotopax on the roof rack for an upcoming road trip, I don’t really like the look so it may only show up on an as needed basis

7obTswF.jpg

And I bought I viair air compressor to substitute the harbor freight one. Came in handy inflating tubes and floaties at the lake yesterday

Edited by PathyDude17
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

yv1m0Yf.jpg

I got caught 3 wheeling again a few days ago!

So, I leave for school in 1.5 weeks.  I have the cash for a front locker (The lokka model) already pulled out and ready to go. But it looks like the money’s just gonna sit at home until I come back from school. Maybe a spring break trip for a Spines2Pines install could be in order? I’m really not sure yet. I won’t need the locker while I’m at college so that’s good, but it sucks to be stuck where I am. I’m gonna tidy up a few small maintenance things before I head out (front brakes, oil change, undercoating, tie rod dust boot), and I think that’ll be about it for the year. Thanks for everyone’s help this year, the pathy has come along way. But with homework looming and the paychecks coming to an end, I think this thread is gonna be pretty silent for the next 8 months or so. If I find any trails in Iowa I’ll be sure to update all of you. Thanks again for being such a great community.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
Missouri Trip!

KBUbj7l.jpg

6t7INUv.jpg

[mention=42074]Buttercup[/mention] did some good photography work and I also made friends with a tree (2nd photo)

9b66ef56a6f5a257676a11bd925fea20.jpeg
Sliding gravel is tough!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

If I find any trails in Iowa I’ll be sure to update all of you.

Southern Missouri/ Ozarks are probably your closest best bet. While there’s stuff in Southern IL & Kentucky, at that distance, CO is a better bet.

4 hours ago, RainGoat said:

Southern Missouri/ Ozarks are probably your closest best bet. While there’s stuff in Southern IL & Kentucky, at that distance, CO is a better bet.

Yup! Kansas City and South Dakota are the two closest OHV areas

Yeah, I’m from KC. Southern MO & Northern AK are beautiful, plus there is NF. I’ll bet there’s something down there. I know Overland Bound has a Central KS Konza Overland group. Check out the Overland Bound Midwest regional group.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RainGoat said:

Yeah, I’m from KC. Southern MO & Northern AK are beautiful, plus there is NF. I’ll bet there’s something down there. I know Overland Bound has a Central KS Konza Overland group. Check out the Overland Bound Midwest regional group.

I’ll keep that in mind! Although with the price of gas, this may be my only trip for the semester. I did get an off campus job though, so I can save up for a big spring break trip

One thing I forgot to mention about the trip-For anyone wondering about the ride quality in my pathfinder (AC springs front, LR9449 rear, 29” Bilsteins, KYB struts, all less than a year old). @joshrichard and @Buttercup rode in all 3 pathfinders throughout the weekend, one stock and one on some form of an AC spring setup (different shocks and maybe rear springs, he couldn’t remember). They were both very complementary of my ride quality as more enjoyable than stock or the other rancho/AC setup, and I could regularly pull away from them on the parts of trails that were bumpy but not full of obstacles. All that to say that I guess my pathfinder rides quite ok on AC suspension. It was no direct comparison to an OME, but I still think the input is valid. It also rides way better than a 2013 F150, as that’s another vehicle I’ve pulled away from on trails. 

• Like 1

To add to@PathyDude17 I personally had AC Springs in the rear with the Bilstein 5100’s, and the ride quality was adequate but still quite stiff. After riding in all three pathfinders one after the other his was by far the best. I was very surprised because we’ve had many different kinds of trucks down on those trails and I’ve never witnessed a truck glide over those rough terrain sections as easily and smoothly as his. Also, after watching both lifted trucks perform identical lines between off camber sections his slightly extra length really helped maintain traction.

• Like 2

To add to@PathyDude17 I personally had AC Springs in the rear with the Bilstein 5100’s, and the ride quality was adequate but still quite stiff. After riding in all three pathfinders one after the other his was by far the best. I was very surprised because we’ve had many different kinds of trucks down on those trails and I’ve never witnessed a truck glide over those rough terrain sections as easily and smoothly as his. Also, after watching both lifted trucks perform identical lines between off camber sections his slightly extra length really helped maintain traction.

• 1 month later...

If anyone needs Junkyard parts in the upcoming 3 weeks, let me know, I’d love to pull some parts

My local junkyard has lots of pathfinders, both WD21 and R50. 
things I’ve pulled in the past (for myself or others):

T- case Skid (fits manual tcase on R50’s, great find in my opinion)

wooden trim

trailer hitch

roof rack pieces

interior plastic trim

fan control amp

grilles

tire carriers

cv axles ($26 for OEM axles)

Brake line pieces

exterior trim

fog lights

PM me if you have any questions or parts requests!

20 hours ago, PathyDude17 said:

T- case Skid (fits manual tcase on R50’s, great find in my opinion)

I need to keep an eye out for a t-case skid plate, but on a lot of the vehicles it's hard to even see under there b/c they remove the wheels and set the vehicle on the ground :P

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zakzackzachary said:

I need to keep an eye out for a t-case skid plate, but on a lot of the vehicles it's hard to even see under there b/c they remove the wheels and set the vehicle on the ground :P

I DM’d you on Instagram :aok:

MvuA31N.jpg

The winter break vehicle, now that I’m in Idaho for the next 3 weeks. If you’ve never had the chance to try out this platform before, I highly recommend it. The Rubicon trim comes with front and rear lockers. With its gearing, I was able to idle up 45% grades, and the lockers make everything a breeze. It definitely has its disadvantages, but as a cheap local toy it’s a blast.

LEiRaFD.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

QnYxUoO.jpg

eIDkOtU.jpg

LSXd3fd.jpg

ffhpq3d.jpg

Taking some of the hard lines with some local Toyota’s and a sweet Xterra 2x locked on 35’s. Interesting to see how the wheelbases and drivetrains played out. An open/open double cab made it up this waterfall but the 4runner (1x locked) and my borrowed 2dr Jeep (2x locked, although the front locker seemed to not be engaging) couldn’t. The green truck was attempting a different obstacle that stumped everyone who tried it save one other tacoma. Fun day overall. I got a camera for Christmas and have been enjoying using it. 

Edited by PathyDude17
  • Like 4