PathyDude's R50 Projects (03 SE 4x4)

13 minutes ago, PathyDude17 said:

Ok i was wondering if that was the case. I do think my rear diff has the mounting bracket for it though, could be wrong.

I’ve never really looked to see if mine has a bracket or not. It wouldn’t surprise me if they left the brackets in place on later years even though the valve was eliminated from the system. 

• 2 weeks later...

Good news today! I have a FREE OHV park 30 minutes from my house, miles of desert/canyon trails of all difficulties. Lots of motorcycles around, but I saw people with trailered jeeps too. Also, my bilsteins are scheduled to arrive Tuesday.

ENJ2Wz6.jpg

lTdgGsp.jpg

pDrOfrQ.jpg

As suspected, the limitations on this vehicle’s capability are now a matter of armor and lockers. Ground clearance and suspension travel were sufficient for what I encountered today, but, as seen above, I had a “rock sliders would sure be nice” moment. I’m also thinking a front locker would be useful. All in all though, a good day, and it looks like there’s a lot more to be explored!

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, RainGoat said:

Honestly, after tires I think sliders are just about the most important thing because they can save you from incredibly difficult damage to repair at your rockers.

Ya, I think they’re a priority if these are the kind of trails I’m going to continue to frequent. I mean, it’s a cheap vehicle and the damage this time was pretty minimal, but I like the protection and functionality of sliders. I also figured out that the roof rack makes for a good place to hang on when getting back in the vehicle on sidehills.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, deltaR50 said:

looks good!. yea get the rock sliders man. before you trash the sides. 

Thanks! The other day I showed someone a bone stock picture of the pathy and they couldn’t believe it was the same vehicle. Definitely happy with how it’s coming along. Hoping for some grad money/better paychecks for a summer job will make that a reality ASAP. My grandpa is gonna teach me how to weld so that’ll be awesome 

• 3 weeks later...

fL6laaI.jpg

PwMIUwr.jpg

hmfAW5e.jpg

@micahfelker stopped by for a weekend of wheeling! He smoked his rockers and I opted out on some obstacles because of that.

Small update: I added lights. Flush mount fogs (nighlight), spots pods in the lower bumper (nighlight), spot lights on the roof rack (xprite), and rear spot pods (nighlight). The do the job for only costing $12, $20, $23, and $12 respectively.

ALSO: I have trailgear 67" sliders on order. i will be welding them to my unibody rail with either my own gusset kit or a premade one. I'll tack thicker steel onto that rail for sure and then weld the sliders to the steel squares. Any tips or suggestions on how to best fit them? how far from the body should they be/what angle should they be set at? My grandpa is teaching me to weld and we'll probably tackle this project together once he's back in town. I'll do some research online about getting them to mount at the most useful angle, but if you all have any quick suggestions id appreciate it! 

Check out the NPORA sticker on my rear window, like $9 on etsy!

I also picked up a smittybilt kinetic energy rope and a $30 harbor freight air compressor-the compressor is slow and overheats after 2.5 tires, so mayble i'll pick up another one and run two at a time. Still cheaper than alot of other air setups.

O35ekN8.jpg

Edited by PathyDude17
  • Like 3

Rig is coming along nicely. Love the look of it. Especially the white. Kinda wish my truck was white instead of silver, but I will hopefully be fixing that after the summer. 

May I ask what your current suspension setup is? I think I read Land Rover rear springs and AC coils up front. Did you replace the shocks or struts? (Sorry if I missed it)

Also, I like the idea of painted tow hooks. Might steal that from ya if you don’t mind...

Dude! You're in 1A!

I have an F150, But my Girlfriends R50 is going to be going under the knife soon. Is there a way I could take a peek at your suspension setup? I am in South Boise near Cole and Lake Hazel!

• Like 1

On 6/3/2019 at 1:54 AM, herotrooper said:

Rig is coming along nicely. Love the look of it. Especially the white. Kinda wish my truck was white instead of silver, but I will hopefully be fixing that after the summer. 

May I ask what your current suspension setup is? I think I read Land Rover rear springs and AC coils up front. Did you replace the shocks or struts? (Sorry if I missed it)

Also, I like the idea of painted tow hooks. Might steal that from ya if you don’t mind...

Thanks, adding black has made the white stand out. For future reference, I update my profile regularly and sometimes even with part numbers, but if I happen to have any of that info missing, you’re basically correct. AC front springs and LR NRC9449 rear coils. Shocks are 29.7” bilstein 5100 33-185569 (double check that part no.) shocks.I also have 6 month old KYB struts

Edited by PathyDude17

12 hours ago, Gushishlain said:

Dude! You're in 1A!

I have an F150, But my Girlfriends R50 is going to be going under the knife soon. Is there a way I could take a peek at your suspension setup? I am in South Boise near Cole and Lake Hazel!

You found me on Instagram before I was able to answer this haha. Funny thing, I have 1A plates from when I lived in Boise, but I’ve been living in 2C since June 2018

16 hours ago, PathyDude17 said:

Thanks, adding black has made the white stand out. For future reference, I update my profile regularly and sometimes even with part numbers, but if I happen to have any of that info missing, you’re basically correct. AC front springs and LR NRC9449 rear coils. Shocks are 29.7” bilstein 5100 33-185569 (double check that part no.) shocks.I also have 6 month old KYB struts

Ah ok. Didn’t know that was a thing, thanks! 

• Like 1

cpFPavh.jpg

hzHac3S.jpg

sliders showed up, think I’m gonna mount them with the inner tube flush to the rocker panel (vertically flush), and then angle just enough to clear the door. They’re a perfect fit!

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, PathyDude17 said:

cpFPavh.jpg

hzHac3S.jpg

sliders showed up, think I’m gonna mount them with the inner tube flush to the rocker panel (vertically flush), and then angle just enough to clear the door. They’re a perfect fit!

Looks good! Did you purchase the mounts as well, or will you be making your own? 

6 hours ago, herotrooper said:

Looks good! Did you purchase the mounts as well, or will you be making your own? 

Haven’t purchased yet, still trying to decide

Purchased mounts for the sliders, going to have a local shop do the job. Cleaned my throttle body and MAF, which took care of a recent warm start stalling issue I had, same as @Bax03SE. Also may have tightened up my shifting? That or placebo effects got the best of me. Next up Power valve screws and CV axles (torn boots). I also have a sleeve on my rack and pinions that is torn, which @02_Pathy is highly recommending that I fix. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, PathyDude17 said:

which @02_Pathy is highly recommending that I fix. 

Fix shmix, run it into the ground!

Nah, seriously though, good progress!  Take care of those next couple steps you've got planned and you'll be set real well.

• Like 2