PathyDude's R50 Projects (03 SE 4x4)

1 hour ago, hawairish said:

springs for handling, and they don't disappoint.

This couldn't be more true, those OME springs ride unbelievably well.  With them I could fly down trails that I previously had to tiptoe along with stock coils.

Just to clarify, you're running a 3" SFD and OME HD coils up front with 2" spacers and OME MD coils in the rear right?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hawairish said:

On 3/13/2019 at 5:55 PM, TowndawgR50 said:

6 hours ago, mjotrainbrain said:

On 3/13/2019 at 8:14 PM, RainGoat said:

Well, thanks guys for the insight. That was some helpful information. Probably gonna go with the AC coils, but I’ll sit on it a few more days just to be sure.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mjotrainbrain said:

Just to clarify, you're running a 3" SFD and OME HD coils up front with 2" spacers and OME MD coils in the rear right?

Mostly correct.  For rear, 2" spacers and LR9448s.

1 hour ago, PathyDude17 said:

Well, thanks guys for the insight. That was some helpful information. Probably gonna go with the AC coils, but I’ll sit on it a few more days just to be sure.

I'd say that if you plan to go with a bumper and winch, the AC's could be a good choice.  They seem to have a much higher spring rate than OMEs judging by complaints of stiffness, but with enough weight to help compress them, it might work out well.  Otherwise, if you'll be without bumper and or winch, I'd still consider the MD or HD springs and a spacer for ride quality.  Also, heads up that the $167 springs that AC sells are OMEs (description includes their duty rating); the $180 springs are their house springs.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, hawairish said:

Mostly correct.  For rear, 2" spacers and LR9448s.

I'd say that if you plan to go with a bumper and winch, the AC's could be a good choice.  They seem to have a much higher spring rate than OMEs judging by complaints of stiffness, but with enough weight to help compress them, it might work out well.  Otherwise, if you'll be without bumper and or winch, I'd still consider the MD or HD springs and a spacer for ride quality.  Also, heads up that the $167 springs that AC sells are OMEs (description includes their duty rating); the $180 springs are their house springs.

Thanks. I remember reading about how AC does their weird brand masking stuff! I would not go so far as to say that I'm planning on a bumper, but 6 months ago I wasn't really planning on taking this thing off road either. However, I do like the idea of keeping my options open. I know people used to (and probably still do) DD on AC coil springs. Ya it was stiff, but at least from the reading I've come across the ride quality wasn't a deal breaker. It seemed to have a good reputation, but I'm sure the OME rides a little nicer. Like I said, I'll sit it over. The last thing I want to do though is be sitting here a year from now wishing I had done something else. I guess in my mind, the worst thing that can happen if I go AC is that the ride quality is stiff, and I have to learn to live with it/appreciate it like everyone else before me (I'd be able to sell my old spacer lift). If I go with OME, worse thing that can happen is I end up wanting a front bumper, and then I have to do another front suspension swap. 

3 hours ago, PathyDude17 said:

appatently AC springs are rated at 380 lbs if anyone is wondering. Post 26

If that's a valid number, that's awfully stiff...150% more than an OE spring (150 lbs/in), and 90% more than OME (200 lbs/in).  That seems exceptionally harsh.  Two front bumpers and two winches with steel rope would only compress the front end 0.5".  I'm for a "truck" like feel, but that's "semi-truck" feel.  Still, I've not tried them (and likely won't), so it's just an impression.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, hawairish said:

If that's a valid number, that's awfully stiff...150% more than an OE spring (150 lbs/in), and 90% more than OME (200 lbs/in).  That seems exceptionally harsh.  Two front bumpers and two winches with steel rope would only compress the front end 0.5".  I'm for a "truck" like feel, but that's "semi-truck" feel.  Still, I've not tried them (and likely won't), so it's just an impression.

That does sound like a lot! Aren’t the land river springs only rated at like 225 and that’s quite a bit over stock

5 hours ago, Sjackson2 said:

That does sound like a lot! Aren’t the land river springs only rated at like 225 and that’s quite a bit over stock

OE rears are 120 lbs/in, OME 140 lbs/in.  That additional 40 lbs of load handling (2 springs x 20 lbs) isn't much for a spring that had about the same free height.  The 9448s at 225 lbs/in are still a reasonable jump over OE, though we don't know what AC rates are.  Other LR springs had different rates and lengths, though.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PathyDude17 said:

AC wants to charge me $70 for shipping.....

Ya they rape you on the shipping. Most people these days stay away from them other than they’re the only place to get ac springs. I’ll probably be going with Ome from rugged rocks when I get my front springs 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sjackson2 said:

Ya they rape you on the shipping. Most people these days stay away from them other than they’re the only place to get ac springs. I’ll probably be going with Ome from rugged rocks when I get my front springs 

See if you can get them off amazon or 4WP when they run discounts. Then you’ll get free shipping too.

5 minutes ago, Sjackson2 said:

4wp has a bunch of different part numbers listed for the ome springs. Which one is the right ones? 

Should be 2928 for OME HD. If I remember correctly I’ve seen them on both websites. I think @RainGoat has also recommended desertrat? Desert4x4? Can’t remember the exact name

• Like 1

Ok I found the 2928s. And desert rat is right here in AZ. Didn’t realize they carried them!!

for Desert Rat! I’ve known them since I lived in PHX. I’ve always had a good experience with them (certainly better than 4WP). Generally they’re pretty knowledgeable as well. For me, the primary benefit with them on the springs was free shipping & no tax. I ended up just getting my local 4WP manager to match the same.

• Thanks 1

I’m actually in the middle of an experiment right now for my front springs. I’ve been scouring websites that supply custom parts for race cars because they have a ton of options for people who are building their own suspension components. I settled on a spring with a 250 lb rate and a free height of 13 inches. 250 puts it in between the OME and AC coils which is what I’m looking for. I chose the 13 inch spring height ( 3 inches shorter than the OME hd) because I’m pairing them with an adjustable height spring spacer (similar to the way a coil over sleeve works) that I plan to adapt to the lower spring perch on the strut. If it all comes together as planned the adjustable lower perch will let me dial in my front ride height exactly where I want it. Total cost so far is $145 for the springs and spacers. Hopefully I’ll get time to work on it next weekend and I’ll update with results then.

Edited by Bax03SE
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Bax03SE said:

I’m actually in the middle of an experiment right now for my front springs. I’ve been scouring websites that supply custom parts for race cars because they have a ton of options for people who are building their own suspension components. I settled on a spring with a 250 lb rate and a free height of 13 inches. 250 puts it in between the OME and AC coils which is what I’m looking for. I chose the 13 inch spring height ( 3 inches shorter than the OME hd) because I’m pairing them with an adjustable height spring spacer (similar to the way a coil over sleeve works) that I plan to adapt to the lower spring perch on the strut. If it all comes together as planned the adjustable lower perch will let me dial in my front ride height exactly where I want it. Total cost so far is $145 for the springs and spacers. Hopefully I’ll get time to work on it next weekend and I’ll update with results then.

That sounds pretty rad, you'll have to let us know how it goes once you get them in. I've seen one ifs r50 use coilovers adapted to attach to the steering knuckle like the stock struts do. I can't remember where I saw it but its definitely interesting

54 minutes ago, RainGoat said:

emoji106.png for Desert Rat! I’ve known them since I lived in PHX. I’ve always had a good experience with them (certainly better than 4WP). Generally they’re pretty knowledgeable as well. For me, the primary benefit with them on the springs was free shipping & no tax. I ended up just getting my local 4WP manager to match the same.

They’re only 13 miles from my house so I can just go pick them up! Lo

33 minutes ago, Bax03SE said:

Do they have the 250 pound spring in a 16 inch height that would just be a direct swap in for the r50 spring....or would it take some modification? 

51 minutes ago, Sjackson2 said:

Do they have the 250 pound spring in a 16 inch height that would just be a direct swap in for the r50 spring....or would it take some modification? 

There are different spring rates and lengths available, but it’s not quite that easy because the stock front springs on the R50 are tapered. They are a larger diameter at the bottom than at the top, which really limits the use of universal springs because most universal springs are equal diameter top to bottom. That’s how I decided I could get a spring that would fit the upper mount, and use an adapter at the bottom to open up my spring options. Since I already knew I needed an adapter, I figured it made sense to make it adjustable at the same time. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bax03SE said:

There are different spring rates and lengths available, but it’s not quite that easy because the stock front springs on the R50 are tapered. They are a larger diameter at the bottom than at the top, which really limits the use of universal springs because most universal springs are equal diameter top to bottom. That’s how I decided I could get a spring that would fit the upper mount, and use an adapter at the bottom to open up my spring options. Since I already knew I needed an adapter, I figured it made sense to make it adjustable at the same time. 

Ah ok. I knew it couldn’t be that easy! Lol

32 minutes ago, PathyDude17 said:

AC springs ordered! Thanks AC for the ridiculous shipping rates. I’ll be sure to never use you guys again. Also ordered generic camber bolts

I’m gonna do the same. 20 bucks on amazon with free prime shipping