The Spicy Truck(my build)

Speaking of LSD, you should change your fluid, I just did mine and saw some small improvement in MPG

oh hell yeah, what gear oil do you use? i also wonder how much it’ll improve limited slip’s performance too if i change it, i can’t wait to see how bad this fluid looks in there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I put generic synthetic in it (was in a bind and ran to Walmart). I’m a little weary of running the oil as it says it works in LSD, but the info I came across on line said LSD oil would be fine in an open diff

• Like 1

dbc2ff878d9e79770b5e208a2457c908.jpg

i did the thing! definetly hate those regular spring compressors hope the next person to do the purple bastard pack uses the heavier duty versions mentioned above. really looks great and rides so much nicer now.

cc44cedd8e421ff131b3e40f565a7de5.jpg

a84aa89f4142945e66e11304750e12df.jpg

187a61f1e28cedbb68f9db3db46e7573.jpg

96b6d7802699e37a833869472885a445.jpg

immediately drive five minutes away to the trails heading to the apilachian trail to test out everything’s soundness and we are good thanks to two camber boltsets. still need better alignment done though but it’s okay closeness.

• Like 3

Love it! Looks really good. How does the height of this set up compare to what you had before? Any problem with strut top out in your test drive?

well my struts were so worn that i was sitting two inches short of my 2.5” lift height (tires rubbed like nuts) i haven’t measured yet but will sometime today, but there’s definetly noticeable larger gap between the tire and body than before. absolutely no rub now and no binding when i spin the wheel with hubs engaged. also i aimed at some holes and there was no top out! i was fairly surprised! but probably because such fresh spring maybe

Love it! Looks really good. How does the height of this set up compare to what you had before? Any problem with strut top out in your test drive?

well my struts were so worn that i was sitting two inches short of my 2.5” lift height (tires rubbed like nuts) i haven’t measured yet but will sometime today, but there’s definetly noticeable larger gap between the tire and body than before. absolutely no rub now and no binding when i spin the wheel with hubs engaged. also i aimed at some holes and there was no top out! i was fairly surprised! but probably because such fresh spring maybe

I went in to 4WP today cause I couldn’t find those steel wheels you bought online. They said that they were discontinued a few weeks back. Does anyone know where I could get my hands on those 15 by 8 Steelies? I am gonna be pissed if I have to spend big money on aluminum wheels.

3 hours ago, PathyDude17 said:

1 hour ago, JackFletcher said:

Damm aight thanks

I had those exact ProComp's, they fit nice.  I ended up getting hub centric rings to get rid of a slight vibration since the center bore on those is 106 mm and R50 hubs are 100 mm. Ymmv.

30 minutes ago, mjotrainbrain said:

I had those exact ProComp's, they fit nice.  I ended up getting hub centric rings to get rid of a slight vibration since the center bore on those is 106 mm and R50 hubs are 100 mm. Ymmv.

Still don’t get the hub centric ring thing. My aluminum wheels are lug centered 106 mm bore and that’s my understanding of basically any aftermarket wheel??

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PathyDude17 said:

Still don’t get the hub centric ring thing. My aluminum wheels are lug centered 106 mm bore and that’s my understanding of basically any aftermarket wheel??

The stock wheels are hub centric.  Lug centric works just fine (with coned nuts) when torqued evenly in the right pattern, but if the lug holes are particularly oversized or you torque the nuts unevenly it will no longer be centered very well.  Just from my experience the couple of dollars for the rings was worth it for having zero vibration every time I put a wheel back on.  I noticed that a bit of vibration would pretty quickly loosen all the nuts on that particular wheel which was my main reason to get the rings.  Not using them can work out perfectly fine though, and of course with anything this fine individual results will vary.

• Like 1

The stock wheels are hub centric.  Lug centric works just fine (with coned nuts) when torqued evenly in the right pattern, but if the lug holes are particularly oversized or you torque the nuts unevenly it will no longer be centered very well.  Just from my experience the couple of dollars for the rings was worth it for having zero vibration every time I put a wheel back on.  I noticed that a bit of vibration would pretty quickly loosen all the nuts on that particular wheel which was my main reason to get the rings.  Not using them can work out perfectly fine though, and of course with anything this fine individual results will vary.

agreed the ones i have are lug centric and i make sure to be anal about retightening them properly because of watching them slowly pull the wheel center the first time i put them on. i don’t think the shop that checked my alignment the first time i lifted it did that properly and i ended up dealing with a weird ass vibration that made me take the wheel off and put it back on with another from the rear and everything at slower speeds went away and i only had shakes at higher speeds at that time due to ****** balance beads which were replaced by regular weights.

• Like 1

I think you’ll be fine. The hub centric rings make it easier to guarantee proper centering and balancing but it’s not required. I’ve ran non hub centric wheels plenty of times and as long as you tighten the lug nuts by hand and alternate lugs as you go, then it’s not really an issue. You only run into off balance trouble if you run one lug all the way tight (like with an impact) before tightening the other lug nuts. 

• Like 2

I agree with @Bax03SE for sure, they're completely fine for a daily.  As long as you're careful you shouldn't even need the rings, although if you ever take it to a shop expect them to get it wrong haha.  If you do decide to get rings they can be had from all kinds of places online from $10 to $50.

• Like 2

I agree with [mention=40517]Bax03SE[/mention] for sure, they're completely fine for a daily.  As long as you're careful you shouldn't even need the rings, although if you ever take it to a shop expect them to get it wrong haha.  If you do decide to get rings they can be had from all kinds of places online from $10 to $50.

i for one do do with out the rings and just am careful. like@mjotrainbrain said you just gotta be careful and tighten in the correct pattern, but those kits are cheap and worth getting as well because they take away the worry one might have

also my rig is my daily takes me back and forth to work everyday happy as can be so that’s why i take such care in the whole tightening those boys properly. vibrations are annoying

so i’ll also get those hub rings at some point probably soon as well

• Like 1

I ran 2 sets of 4Runner wheels on my old pathy, with no rings. Never had an issue with vibrations. Quite frankly never knew the rings existed. Pretty hard to throw off 6 lugs unless you impact one on like @Bax03SE said. 

I will say however, that I currently have OEM wheels and spacers on my new rig and even though they are hub centric, I had some fitment issues on the fronts due to the nuts on the hubs. Not sure if it’s just my spacers or nuts, but at least you have a heads up now

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

so i have some nrc9448s coming in the mail wednesday and some Bilstein 33185569 5125 shocks coming tomorrow.

hella excited to put these on and no longer sag every time i need to bring my tools somewhere

• Like 4

ac88583254a84d70cf9427c141515050.jpg

going on next weekend! any recommendations on getting these on there? the bilsteins aren’t completely compressed and i def couldn’t push the together with my hands so that was surprising. i also haven’t dealt with brand new shocks in a long time since they were front shocks for a dakota i did for a friend which i were able to compress by hand. should i not cut those strings keeping them compressed until they’re bolted in there? correct orientation is body up and boot down as well?

I BARELY got them on brand new, gave my arm a workout. According to @02_Pathy, you’re best bet is to connect bottom bolt first then push down from

the top, although I’m living proof that it can be done the other way. Orientation is boot down for the most effective draining, but I run opposite cause I like seeing the chrome. I’ve seen other vehicles do the same

Edited by PathyDude17
  • Like 2