The Spicy Truck(my build)

i take it back on the balance beads. still feel a shudder in the steering wheel when above 55-60. i ended up getting my rear left balanced regularly because i could see the slight wiggle while driving which persists even still. i only see it on the rear left and it’s not the bearing as there’s no play in the wheel when i jack it up And i don’t see it in the front tires even with the steering shudder at high speeds.

so i’m lost on this one, any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try swapping that wheel with a front and see if the wiggle follows the wheel or stays with the axle? That will at least tell you if it is a wheel/tire balance issue or something on the truck. 

• Like 1

Try swapping that wheel with a front and see if the wiggle follows the wheel or stays with the axle? That will at least tell you if it is a wheel/tire balance issue or something on the truck. 

yeah it followed the tire so i contacted amazon and we are going to exchange tires now. after it followed the tire i figured it just that badly out of round and is therefore defective so amazon covered me! it’ll be here wednesday so we will know for sure that day or by the weekend definitely.

in other news i’ll be installing my hubs, new extra lights (while also possibly figuring out a way to mount the original fogs on the old bumper), relocating the knock sensor to the front of the engine, and installing my lca brace as soon as i finish pounding the ends flat lol. that and if i have time MORE PAINT AND RUST REMOVAL

big day tomorrow

• Like 1

holy crap i’ve broken three 12 mm sockets and bent my 12 mm wrench on these cv bolts ... waiting for a friend to come give me a ride so i can buy a damn impact gun

On 5/3/2019 at 4:21 PM, spicyheckboi said:

yeah it followed the tire so i contacted amazon and we are going to exchange tires now. after it followed the tire i figured it just that badly out of round and is therefore defective so amazon covered me! it’ll be here wednesday so we will know for sure that day or by the weekend definitely.

in other news i’ll be installing my hubs, new extra lights (while also possibly figuring out a way to mount the original fogs on the old bumper), relocating the knock sensor to the front of the engine, and installing my lca brace as soon as i finish pounding the ends flat lol. that and if i have time MORE PAINT AND RUST REMOVAL

big day tomorrow

I’m very happy with my lca brace. Made it out of anlgle iron. Best spent ten dollar part I’ve ever put on a vehicle 

Edited by Sjackson2
  • Like 1

I’m very happy with my lca brace. Made it out of anlgle iron. Best spent ten dollar part I’ve ever put on a vehicle 

i had some 1” tubing lying around so i figured i’d use that. have not gotten to it yet as i’m still working on those axles due to rain

it also occurred to me the tube might be aluminum and not steel like i thought. i’m gonna need a magnet to find out i suppose. i know people use smaller conduit and such so i wonder if this is in fact aluminum if it would be strong enough. i even have some 1.5 and 2” lying with it

15 minutes ago, spicyheckboi said:

i had some 1” tubing lying around so i figured i’d use that. have not gotten to it yet as i’m still working on those axles due to rain emoji24.png

it also occurred to me the tube might be aluminum and not steel like i thought. i’m gonna need a magnet to find out i suppose. i know people use smaller conduit and such so i wonder if this is in fact aluminum if it would be strong enough. i even have some 1.5 and 2” lying with it

Aluminum will be better than nothing. Basically...your just preventing the lca’s from pulling apart so it should be strong enough 

• Like 1

Aluminum will be better than nothing. Basically...your just preventing the lca’s from pulling apart so it should be strong enough 

that’s what i was thinking? i would be more concerned if there were twisting forces on the brace but they don’t move like that.

either way you’re right it’s better than nothing and i’ve put it off too long now i just can’t wait to do it finally. if i notice stress fractures or bends i’ll replace it and if i flex a little and look and see it’s bending more than i’d like id also replace it but until then it’ll be good.

i appreciate the input!

• Like 1

finished the cvs today and the manual hubs. such a relief now that that’s done. hell of a lot easier with the new impact gun. now i need more time to finish the damn lca brace. i also relocated my knock sensor to the front of the engine with a 2001 altima sensor and connector. break the black outside of the connector so you just have the prongs and it fits up to the connector we have on ours, the light blue. i mounted it in the front center of the motor using a longer bolt above a coolant hose.
c91a6a1051cbe07cad50613655f81fb2.jpg
18cdb501b6c871e5b710904e117e1646.jpg

• Like 1

finally got the chance to do the missing link ! my pipe turned out to be steel as well. used my hand sledge and hammered the ends flat and drilled holes. the 1” flattened out to 2” so i had to grind some away. for once things went smoothly. i also painted the grill black and put it back on and moved my lights down. pics in the morning weather permitting. i would’ve tonight but it’s dark lol.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

i have yet to take pictures but have managed to blow my struts completely finally. at least driverside left.

so it’s time to change them out and after consulting[mention=40517]Bax03SE[/mention] on their front setup i’ve decided to do the same and net my lift from the springs instead of spacers. i think i’m taking both one inch spacers out because the spring set up i’m going with should give me 2.5” lift just as i do now but on fresh struts and much heavier duty springs.

speedywaymotors.com for the non amazon order

7453e98a8ada9e1fc7e4c1018852d29d.jpg

0e233f6122e244a7a56d84f9f41f35ce.jpg

881f8bc9d93d962b89cbac25e369ce67.jpg

edit to remind that his set up utilized the top spacers as well and he needed a sfd to counter the angles. i’m keeping my spacers off the top until the rear is worn and i want to go higher and do the sfd. bc of-course gotta do that at some point- just not yet. i want to see how happy i am after i get not blown struts and coils up front.

would also appreciate input on bracket designs for front and rear bumpers. sometime around my birthday in june i’m trading stick welder for my fathers mig that i’m better at using as he is better with the stick. lol

• Like 2

Nice! I know we talked a little via pm already, but if you run into any questions at all let me know and I’m happy to help as much as possible.  One thing I forgot to mention is the need for a good spring compressor. I managed to wrestle mine in with a set of standard two price bolt style compressors but it wasn’t easy. These springs take way more force to compress than the stock springs. 

• Like 1

Nice! I know we talked a little via pm already, but if you run into any questions at all let me know and I’m happy to help as much as possible.  One thing I forgot to mention is the need for a good spring compressor. I managed to wrestle mine in with a set of standard two price bolt style compressors but it wasn’t easy. These springs take way more force to compress than the stock springs. 

thank you so much i will!! i really appreciate that and the help you’ve given so far very much. ive been meaning to ask if regular spring compressors from autozone like that would cut it on these springs if i used the impact on them, this is good to know. i will definitely look at getting those compressors right now things are going in in early june i want to say i’ll have everything by.

i gotta round up my unused camber bolt sets too still wherever they are

2 hours ago, colinnwn said:

My Autozone spring compressor just bent the jackscrew without compressing my HD springs much at all.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

What style was it? Like the one above? I don’t have any experience with that one but it gets good reviews. All I know is I technically got the job done with my regular compressors but it was a major pita so I would want something better if doing it again. Of course you could always take it to a shop to have them assemble the struts, I’m just not sure how they’d feel about putting together a bastardized set up like I’m running, lol. 

What style was it? Like the one above? I don’t have any experience with that one but it gets good reviews. All I know is I technically got the job done with my regular compressors but it was a major pita so I would want something better if doing it again. Of course you could always take it to a shop to have them assemble the struts, I’m just not sure how they’d feel about putting together a bastardized set up like I’m running, lol. 

the ones that worked for you Bax03SE, did they look like this style?

5767f24d3707549f9c0a65f89af5969f.jpg

with my impact if these guys held up for yours then they’ll hold up for mine and i won’t kill myself with a ratchet this time like i did on the rear springs.

and yeah lmao no i’m definitely dealing with this myself although i might pay a shop to deal with the lug nut spinning issue i’m having though. just spins but boy can i rip on it with a clamped vice grip and that won’t come off. the rest are fine that’s just annoying and will need a new stud probably.

and i know how much this is gonna suck just because of having to remove the strut bolts when i did the cvs and getting them back in is not happening unless i own one of these after the new struts and springs.

I think it was like these. But that was the last time I tried to use them 10 years ago. And they are only maybe at my parents house 200 miles away.

I actually did take the struts to a NTB that agreed to do it under the table for a $50 tip. The shop manager was really condescending when I tried to show him how the FSM said they should go together. When I got home I discovered they didn't seat the bearing flat, and the chevron was pointing in the wrong direction.

This was probably a little dicky of me but I was so mad that I would have never known about the sloppy work if I had taken the whole job to them, that I wrote corporate.

I had to leave town, but my dad took them to an independent car shop we had a relationship with who hooked me up free of charge.

I later found out the NTB shop manager got fired. I don't know if it was only that, or one of a string of things. f540ac274dc3b0addf2f2280db749e8d.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

36 minutes ago, spicyheckboi said:

the ones that worked for you Bax03SE, did they look like this style?

5767f24d3707549f9c0a65f89af5969f.jpg

with my impact if these guys held up for yours then they’ll hold up for mine and i won’t kill myself with a ratchet this time like i did on the rear springs.

and yeah lmao no i’m definitely dealing with this myself although i might pay a shop to deal with the lug nut spinning issue i’m having though. just spins but boy can i rip on it with a clamped vice grip and that won’t come off. the rest are fine that’s just annoying and will need a new stud probably.

and i know how much this is gonna suck just because of having to remove the strut bolts when i did the cvs and getting them back in is not happening unless i own one of these after the new struts and springs.

Yep, those are exactly like what I have. 

• Like 1

I bought a kit like this off eBay the other month for $85, and they've worked great.  Used them on long OME HDs for an FJ80 project, and just the other day on R50 OME MDs.  I've used those rental ones on OME HDs in the past, but it's a pain.  These were fairly effortless.

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, hawairish said:

I bought a kit like this off eBay the other month for $85, and they've worked great.  Used them on long OME HDs for an FJ80 project, and just the other day on R50 OME MDs.  I've used those rental ones on OME HDs in the past, but it's a pain.  These were fairly effortless.

s-l1600.jpg

I really like the design of that! It looks like it would be very robust. 

• Like 2

so i was curious and decided to call nissan give them my vin number and ask if i had the lsd or not because i was pretty sure it acts like one on gravel and dirt but we have seen my rust covered pumkin has no sticker, it turns out i do have one!! just nice to know for sure

• Like 3

On 5/25/2019 at 11:38 AM, spicyheckboi said:

so i was curious and decided to call nissan give them my vin number and ask if i had the lsd or not because i was pretty sure it acts like one on gravel and dirt but we have seen my rust covered pumkin has no sticker, it turns out i do have one!! just nice to know for sure

Speaking of LSD, you should change your fluid, I just did mine and saw some small improvement in MPG