Power Door locks don't work

Flatusboy

I don't know if Ive posted on here yet...must be the age?  LOL

Anyway, picked up a '95 Pathy XE a few weeks ago.  160k but the motor and trans are still strong.

Had a few little issues I have solved already (cruise control, tach, exhaust leaks, etc).

Next problem on the list is the Power door locks.

I have not completely gotten into it yet, but I have taken apart and cleaned the switch on the drivers door (the one with the window controls as well) and that seems fine.

All my fuses seem to be ok, but there is absolutely no movement, no click, no nothing when I press the lock/unlock button.

I keep hearing about the door lock timer, but reading the symptoms of that, it doesn't seem to fit my issue.

Any tips or advice on where to look before I start pulling door and interior panels?

Thanks in advance...

Being that it is a high power-demand circuit I suspect that there is a bad relay causing your issue. Not that I have a circuit diagram anymore, but I recall there being a  crap-ton of relays in the engine bay on both the left and right sides. IF anyone has more specific directions for this fine gentlemen please chime in!

14 hours ago, SpecialWarr said:

Being that it is a high power-demand circuit I suspect that there is a bad relay causing your issue. Not that I have a circuit diagram anymore, but I recall there being a  crap-ton of relays in the engine bay on both the left and right sides. IF anyone has more specific directions for this fine gentlemen please chime in!

Thank you for the clue!

I found the service manual and found that power goes through circuit breaker 211M.

Found that 211M is "supposed" to be behind the kick panel on the passenger side....nope. Or, at least I couldn't find it.

I did find the power window amp, but no CB.

There is a reference for a '90 Pathy and 211M is drivers side, near the fuse block.  Will check there tomorrow.

I didn't have any relays on the drivers' side kick panel, but I do recall the power window relay. I was under the impression that the PW relay and the power door locks were both over there. I remember a round thing and that was for the power locks (two big wires?) and there was a square box (6 small multicolor wires with a split ground) which was for the power windows. Both should be hiding under the carpet, behind the kick panel and held on with a big 'ole Phillips screw through the inner steel body panel. 

15 hours ago, SpecialWarr said:

I didn't have any relays on the drivers' side kick panel, but I do recall the power window relay. I was under the impression that the PW relay and the power door locks were both over there. I remember a round thing and that was for the power locks (two big wires?) and there was a square box (6 small multicolor wires with a split ground) which was for the power windows. Both should be hiding under the carpet, behind the kick panel and held on with a big 'ole Phillips screw through the inner steel body panel. 

That big round thing is what Im looking for, the circuit breaker.

On 3/8/2019 at 7:03 AM, SpecialWarr said:

Over on www.rockauto.com:

PATHFINDER    3.0L V6    Electrical-Switch & Relay    Door Lock Relay

BECK/ARNLEY 2030109 {#25230C9961, 25230C9971

They're like $12 +tax and shipping. 

Thanks again for all the help. 

Found my circuit breaker, it has power to it. 

Also found a bunch of relays and they all worked fine. 

Nit sure if one was the lock relay or if I didn’t find that one.???

On 3/12/2019 at 3:50 PM, Cuong Nguyen said:

I still suspect timer

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Me too. Door lock timer behind rear driver side panel in back.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Hello Guys. New here so I apologize for asking a question that may have been covered. As a matter of fact I was going through the new guys discussions to try and find answer here Hopefully.. if someone can direct me that would be awesome. So, I was having issues with locks of course, so I changed out all the plastic pieces and locks and even new handles which I wanted the metal version being I already broke a plastic one. Now..All doors work with a key to lock and unlock. All doors lock and unlock with the power lock button also. My main two issues is I hit the lock button and all the door lock and when I shut the driver or passenger door it immediately unlocks. which I have noticed if I lift the front right or left lock manually inside all the doors unlock automatically too. Which is fine by me. But basically I can not lock the vehicle up, being once I lock everything and shut the door they all unlock. I have read a couple of things about a "timer", but not sure it would do this. At the moment the only way to lock the vehicle up, is shut all the doors except the back driver door, reach in and hit the power lock button and then shut the back door. they all then stay locked. remember. all the plastic clips (even the hard to find yellow sliding ones) were replaced. everything was lubed and all rods were fine. Now with that said, did say I had another issue. one my driver switch panel I have a button that you push to lock down or a second time to unlock. It says "power Locks" I believe, but I have not been able to figure out what it actually is or does, everything works exactly the same as I have seen with it depressed or not.. I don't have a manual yet to see what it is, Does anybody know about either of these issues. Thanks!

First, your truck thinks the key is in the ignition. That is why it is unlocking the doors when you try to lock then close a front door. If you take the steering column cover off you will see 2 wires I believe are red with blue stripe connected to the ignition lock cylinder near the front. If you follow those wires back a short distance, you will find where they plug into the harness. Unplug them and retest your locks. If you can lock the door then close it and they stay locked, the problem is the switch in the lock is stuck. 

The push button on the master switch that is lock when pushed down is for the power windows. When it is in lock, the window switches for the rear and passenger doors are disabled. 

Have you tried using the key in the door lock to lock the doors? It should lock all 5 doors when the doors are shut and you use the key in the door lock. 

Ok Guys.. I did go through the ignition switch and unplugged it and the door still would not close without unlocking the door.. I also tried to lock the doors with the key and it does unlock them all when I unlock them, but it does not lock them all when I lock the door.. it  does lock the one I'm locking though.. Here is the weird thing, So I finished installing the battery hold down and the radio.. while I was doing this I had the battery completely disconnected from power and ground.. and just for trial and error I locked the doors and shut them and they still unlocked.. I did it with the right and left front doors and they did both unlock when I shut the door with no power on them.. Now I'm thinking something I did in the doors while replacing everything was put back wrong, or the lock latch mechanism has failed somehow and unlocks the door manually when they shut. I'm stumped.. I guess I will have to tear the doors down again and move the lock trigger manually on the side of the door to simulate it shutting and see what is actually moving on the inside to unlock them.. UGH!!! maybe its something simple, like I got the right door lock and left door lock switched during the install and its working backwards.. I guess I will try and track down a drawing of what each direction everything goes..

Wild. Usually the complaints with our old trucks is that they self lock the doors when closed. Mine does it when the weather gets cool. Curious how the power locks are operating with the battery disconnected. 

Wish you were near, would be interesting to look at. Most interesting thing I had at work today was an 01 Mustang Cobra SVT that got towed in. Owner said it overheated and now won't start. Found he cooked the engine, found coolant in the intake tube, dripping out the throttle body. 3 cylinders on each bank only 70-80 psi on compression test. One cyl on each bank gave 110-120 psi. He says has a warranty on the engine, put it in a year ago I guess. I say good luck and hope the tow truck comes early to haul it away. 

Ok Guys.. I'm really Upset at myself .. I cant believe no one on here could figure this out form me explaining it in detail.. this was the answer.. So I tried everything but pull the whole lock mechanism out, which I tore the door down again and took the lock mechanism itself out and cleaned it up and checked for any rods in the wrong place the whole works.. Still nothing wrong. So while it was out, I totally worked every piece on it to see what was unlocking the door and how each piece worked together.  It came down to when the door shut, the door pin latch, it twisted the center of the lock. which had a cam that would unlock it manually.. the plate the cam hit was attached to two places.. the lock "up and down" rod to manually lock or unlock the door,  and the outside door handle.. I did notice a little white adjustable rod that slipped into a slide that allowed you to remove slack from the door handle.. Which I tried to adjust that and it made it worse.. Only thing left was the door handle itself.. Then it dawned on me, maybe it was like my nissan 300 I had 20 years ago.. maybe you have to hold the handle in the up position, when you shut the door to lock it.. Low and behold problem solved.. My dumbass tore that door down 3 different times to find out all I had to do was lift the handle when I shut the door and it stayed locked.. Why did no one pick up on this??? I really wasted some serious hours on this.... Only good news is everything works like it should and I know these doors in and out now.

Now that you mention it, I've seen an old tech bulletin about "Slam Shut" door lock logic, which was new for the '92 model year, and meant you didn't have to hold the handle up when closing the door anymore. I figured they changed the door lock timer (power locks), but clearly it was a hardware thing instead. Makes sense I guess, they didn't all have power locks. Mine's a '93 so I've never encountered or thought much about the earlier system. Good job figuring it out!

Edited by Slartibartfast

Yep, my 93 didn't have me hold the handle up like several of my old Datsuns did. Not having or living with a Nissan truck that was 87-92, didn't realize that was a change for the 93 model year. The 1979 Datsun King Cab my mom had, you had to use the key to lock it. The door had to be shut to allow the lock to be pressed down into the lock position. She bought the truck new and the manual said that it was made that way to prevent locking the key in the truck.