02 SE r50 build - Buttercup

Buttercup

• 2 weeks later...

did a drain and refill on front and rear diffs, transfer case, and transmission. diffs were still good, transmission was pretty dark, and the transfer case was black... yikes. still haven’t gotten around to the wheel bearings because i still don’t have a jack since our old one broke .

Just btw, I post on this thread more than@buttercup because i’m on the forum more frequently than her. plus i’m the one who does the work on the truck.

weirdly enough, her 195k pathfinder runs better than my 135k did

• Like 4

Did a full polish and wax, and wow even being a 17 year old truck that paint looks amazing.4d578c40fb8c586b076a541033eb137b.jpg

Also replaced the fuel filter, cleaned the throttle body, MAF sensor, and also fixed the tachometer side of lights. Next is knock sensor, O2 sensor, climate control lights. Then hopefully we can begin on the fun stuff!

• Like 4

time for these maybe

Steve, I’ve got your link & aluminum mid skid. They fit well & do the job nicely. I particularly like that they are aluminum and, consequently, maintenance free. It would be nice, however, if there were horseshoe bolt protectors welded in front of the bolt slots like on my RCI skids for the 4Runner. Another nice touch is to overlap from the front to back so there aren’t any edges to catch if you’re sliding along the skids (you can see that in the photo below as well). Your skids do this from the front to the link, but the rear plate has a forward facing edge. Finally, turning up the sides increases the skids rigidity.

I would buy your rear skid if the shipping weren’t so unreasonably high. It’s like AC, it’s tough to stomach shipping that’s a significant percentage of cost of the item. In AC’s case, it’s clear shipping is just another profit center - is yours just the result of size, weight & import duties?a545d6c47816edbbac600f8a4066b204.jpg

• Like 2

Looks great! in my opinion i would just save up for nicer wheels. I've always hated those wheels because of the spokes and just the whole design. Throw on some Pro Comps that truck is gonna look sick! If you rhino line the bumpers i advise you ask some people on the forum for some advise before you do decide to line them, but lining them would look pretty sweet. Are you going to lift it?

Looks great! in my opinion i would just save up for nicer wheels. I've always hated those wheels because of the spokes and just the whole design. Throw on some Pro Comps that truck is gonna look sick! If you rhino line the bumpers i advise you ask some people on the forum for some advise before you do decide to line them, but lining them would look pretty sweet. Are you going to lift it?

i’ve been on and off about buying wheels, looks for this truck isn’t as much as functionality. Rhino lining wouldn’t be a problem, my family has been rhino lining our trail vehicles for years. definitely going to lift it soon, but have some more pressing issues to resolve before the lift.
  • Like 1

Just now, joshrichard said:

i’ve been on and off about buying wheels, looks for this truck isn’t as much as functionality. Rhino lining wouldn’t be a problem, my family has been rhino lining our trail vehicles for years. definitely going to lift it soon, but have some more pressing issues to resolve before the lift.

i gotcha man. things just need fixing before you start adding mods or just you'll end spending more in the future.

• Like 1

Interesting video. Makes me nostalgic for the woods of my youth. A couple of those shots seem to show the locked center &/or the LSD at work.

If you ever pass through i’d love to show you parts of the national forest! currently just a center locker; the off camber sections when i had two wheels in the air were fun

Thanks for the offer. Unfortunately, I only make it back to KC for a handful of days every other year or so & that’s usually full of me doing stuff for my folks who are 75 & 80. I have spent many years of my youth in Southern MO & Northern AK. It’s pretty country for sure. It was a trip to Taum Sauk & Johnson Shut-Ins that rekindled my outdoor explorations back in January ‘92. I actually did my advanced SCUBA check out dive at Bull Shoals.

• Like 2

On 10/25/2019 at 12:20 PM, RainGoat said:

Steve, I’ve got your link & aluminum mid skid. They fit well & do the job nicely. I particularly like that they are aluminum and, consequently, maintenance free. It would be nice, however, if there were horseshoe bolt protectors welded in front of the bolt slots like on my RCI skids for the 4Runner. Another nice touch is to overlap from the front to back so there aren’t any edges to catch if you’re sliding along the skids (you can see that in the photo below as well). Your skids do this from the front to the link, but the rear plate has a forward facing edge. Finally, turning up the sides increases the skids rigidity.

I would buy your rear skid if the shipping weren’t so unreasonably high. It’s like AC, it’s tough to stomach shipping that’s a significant percentage of cost of the item. In AC’s case, it’s clear shipping is just another profit center - is yours just the result of size, weight & import duties?a545d6c47816edbbac600f8a4066b204.jpg

Having recessed bolts and extra bends is all extras that add to the cost and at first I was selling my skids with oil filter and oil pan drain plug access and I had countersunk Stainless steel bolts...  Sadly at the end, I was not selling alot of them because most people did not want to pay extra for these...  So I am selling the most basic set at the best cost I can while making some $$... The shipping has to be compared properly... When you cross countries, it's a totally different ballgame... Also I ship my stuff with tracking and insurance. It barely takes 4-8 business days anywhere to usa... I could ship it with no tracking, but time has showed me that everybody loses at the end when the item does not get to the buyer or it does get there but with damages that I have to absorb....  move to canada...shipping is cheaper lol !

• Like 1

i'd honestly recommend raptor lining the bumpers and fender flares instead of painting them. if youre going to go wheeling alot the bedliner can take a lot more hits than paint. i'm actually considering bedlining my bumpers and fender flares on my rig.

• Like 2

i'd honestly recommend raptor lining the bumpers and fender flares instead of painting them. if youre going to go wheeling alot the bedliner can take a lot more hits than paint. i'm actually considering bedlining my bumpers and fender flares on my rig.

I’d be interested in how that works out long term. I used Raptor liner on our T4R sliders & have mixed feelings. I ultimately covered it with Rustoleum Texture in black. I corresponded with U-Pol prior to make sure that combo would work. The Raptor liner gives a nice course finish but it has a fan spray which is good for flat surfaces - not so good for sliders, racks, etc. The Rustoleum Texture has a nice fine grain, satin finish, hides blemishes & touches up both with ease & inexpensively ($5/can v $25 for the Raptor). When I recondition my Coastal offroad bumper, or perhaps for the tops of my own sliders, I’ll consider the Raptor again but I’ll likely still finish it off with the Rustoleum Textured.

• Like 1

On 11/6/2019 at 10:07 PM, joshrichard said:

planning a trip to Colorado from March 13 -March 20 (2020) definitely doing some wheeling but not a whole lot because of all the snow. Are there any pathys that reside over there?

I’m in the Denver area and I should have my rig built by then. Message me if you’re interested in hitting some nearby trails. There’s a few I’ve looked into but I haven’t tried any yet.

I’m in the Denver area and I should have my rig built by then. Message me if you’re interested in hitting some nearby trails. There’s a few I’ve looked into but I haven’t tried any yet.

i’d definitely like to hit some trails, i’ll message you when the time comes closer. As of now i plan on staying in boulder, and trail-wise, most likely the easy trails but the difficulty will be dependent on the weather.

On 11/8/2019 at 6:49 AM, joshrichard said:

i’d definitely like to hit some trails, i’ll message you when the time comes closer. As of now i plan on staying in boulder, and trail-wise, most likely the easy trails but the difficulty will be dependent on the weather.

Yeah I’d like to keep it relatively tame for my first few trails as well. I hear good things about some of the ones by Empire/Idaho springs, but I’d have to look into boulder and see what options they have.

Be aware though, there’s a good chance they might be “Prius only”. Either that or they won’t be open for several hundred years on account of all the environmental surveys they’ll have to do to make sure our tires won’t endanger any of the dirt?

Sorry can you tell I hate boulder?

Edited by PathyGig12
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, joshrichard said:

7394910757aa219771ff08d6787cf707.jpg

gonna go check these out wednesday. 16x8 6x5.5 w/ 3.75 backspacing. excited to see if they fit, they’re a good price and local

If you don't physically test fit make sure you measure the center bore, if they're coming off a Chevy or Jeep it may be too small. Looks right from the pic though.

• Like 1

If you don't physically test fit make sure you measure the center bore, if they're coming off a Chevy or Jeep it may be too small. Looks right from the pic though.

yeah he’s gonna let me try them on, they’re coming from a chevy so hopefully i get lucky lol
  • Like 1